Page 1 of 1

Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:46 pm
by zarfius
(edited for official release)

Some of you may remember, a long time ago I started a project called Glue Editor. It was supposed to be a map / world / level editor for Ogre3D projects. A very ambitious project indeed and for one man to develop it has proved to be a little too much.

Rather than see the project fizzle away to nothing I have decided to strip the original project back to a simple scene editor. Something that can completed in a much shorter timeframe and get it out there for the Ogre community to use. So without further ado I'd like to present Glue Editor Lite.

Image

I have setup a website dedicated to the project where you can download an installer, post bug reports and feature requests on the forums.

http://www.glueeditor.com/

The current release is version 1.0, and is feature complete for a simple scene editor. As always, I will be taking all bug reports seriously and continuing development, you will be able to see my development progress on my development journal here: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/792-rock-paper-glue/

Re: Glue Editor Lite (BETA release)

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:25 pm
by jacmoe
I approve of that! :)

Re: Glue Editor Lite (BETA release)

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:33 pm
by almondega
Seems nice, I'll check it out. :wink:

Re: Glue Editor Lite (BETA release)

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:30 pm
by mcteapot
Looks like a neet project, is there a pdf manual of the app?
Also are you planning to release the source for the project?

Re: Glue Editor Lite (BETA release)

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:41 am
by zarfius
Hi mcteapot, sorry I haven't been able to get back to you until now. I've been away for the easter holidays.
mcteapot wrote:Looks like a neet project, is there a pdf manual of the app?
I haven't had the time to do any documentation yet. Although, I think it's a good time to start and I will aim to put something together soon. I'm not sure what kind of documentation would provide the most benefit first up?

I've created a topic on glueeditor.com if you'd like to discuss it more.
http://www.glueeditor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2
mcteapot wrote:Also are you planning to release the source for the project?
When I first started the project it was closed source. After a few months of development I thought it would be a good idea to make it open source so that I could get some help. What I discovered was that open source projects need to be carefully managed to work well. I applaud any successful open source project (like Ogre) because the truth is, a lot of hard work goes into making them work well.

When I stripped back Glue Editor to the simpler Glue Editor Lite I decided to keep the source closed again. This wasn't an easy decision, but the primary reason is to spend less time managing the project and more time developing it. As a result, I've found the development much faster and more focused.

I'm not against open source software, but I don't think it's the right model for this project at this stage. Perhaps that will change again in the future if there is a compelling enough reason.

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:33 am
by zarfius
Today marks the official release of version 1.0 of the editor. All of the core features have been implemented and all known bugs have been ironed out. Please update your copy if you have been using the BETA version.

The next phase of development will be a pile of new features based on user requests and my own game development. I would love you know if anyone is already using it.

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:12 pm
by Jeason
First of all your Editor is great :) But i've noticed that "System.Data.SQLite.dll" is missing in your release package. Maybe you should add this DLL later.

Can you implement a function in your Editor to use custom Entitys with custom Data? I really need such a function and it could be useful for other people who would like to use your editor :D

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:39 pm
by zarfius
Jeason wrote:i've noticed that "System.Data.SQLite.dll" is missing in your release package.
Thanks for letting me know. I've updated the release package.
Jeason wrote:Can you implement a function in your Editor to use custom Entitys with custom Data? I really need such a function and it could be useful for other people who would like to use your editor
That's a great idea. I'll put it first on my to-do list and implement it for the next release. I'll send you a test copy if you need it sooner. I'd like to discuss it a bit more though so I get the specifics right over if that's okay with you.

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:22 pm
by Jeason
zarfius wrote:I'll send you a test copy if you need it sooner. I'd like to discuss it a bit more though so I get the specifics right over if that's okay with you.
That sounds great :) I'm realy looking forward to get a test copy of this new System

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:26 am
by zarfius
Jeason wrote:Can you implement a function in your Editor to use custom Entitys with custom Data?
Hey Jeason, I've added a feature request on my forums here: http://www.glueeditor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7
Please take a look and make sure it's what you meant before I go ahead with implementation. If there's anything you'd do differently please discuss it in the feature request thread so that we don't clog up the showcase forum.

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:02 pm
by Beauty
Congratulation for your 1.0 version :D

I'm a little bit sad to see that you stopped publishing the source code. It was useful to discover some of its details.

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:09 am
by Beauty
Now I tried your 1.0 Glue Editor Lite.
I created a new scene, but can't do anything.
I couldn't find a way to load meshes, create objects, etc.
For this I looked to the menue and tried to get a context menue on several GUI items. Nothing happens.
Nice would be a demo scene which is loaded and shown after the installation.

Idea:
Add a menue option to load the recent project(s).

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:12 pm
by zarfius
Beauty wrote:I created a new scene, but can't do anything.
I couldn't find a way to load meshes, create objects, etc.
I think the problem here is lack of documentation. I'll add it to my to-do list to write a "Getting Started" tutorial. In the mean time, here's a quick summary:

When you first load the editor there won't be any project loaded. You can either load an existing project or create a new one.
When you're creating a new project you should set the project folder to you're Ogre Media location, the editor will scan this directory for any mesh files and create a list of them in the project explorer. It will also create an empty "World 1".
To add entities to your world you should drag them from the project explorer into one of the viewports.
After the entity is created you can select it with the left mouse button, or by dragging a selection box around multiple entities.
On the left you have translate, rotate and scale tools you can use to move your entities around.
The buttons above the project explorer can be used to add or remove assets and worlds.
The toolbar at the top has new, open, save, cut, copy, paste, undo, redo and grid controls.
In the file menu you'll also find an export to DotScene option.
Beauty wrote:For this I looked to the menue and tried to get a context menue on several GUI items. Nothing happens.
Context menu's are a good idea. I'll add them to do the to-do list as well.
Beauty wrote:Nice would be a demo scene which is loaded and shown after the installation.
That's a good idea too, although, it will make the download bigger and I'm not sure what kind of scene I can create with the free meshes that come with Ogre.
Beauty wrote:Add a menue option to load the recent project(s).
This one is already on the to-do list ;)

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:35 pm
by Beauty
zarfius wrote:
Beauty wrote:Nice would be a demo scene which is loaded and shown after the installation.
That's a good idea too, although, it will make the download bigger and I'm not sure what kind of scene I can create with the free meshes that come with Ogre.
You could add a scene, which uses only models of small sized resource files.
For example the Ninja model (of the tutorials / SDK) has only a size of 133KB (plus texture file).

An idea for your whish list:
Add the Ogre Procedural Geometry Library for quickly creation of geometric objects (e.g. cylinders).

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:50 pm
by zarfius
Beauty wrote:Add the Ogre Procedural Geometry Library for quickly creation of geometric objects (e.g. cylinders).
Procedural geometry is something I'm very interested in and something I will pursue as a major feature of Glue Editor. I've given a lot of thought as to how to implement it and it's probably going to be a whole development cycle, so I wouldn't expect to see it in the next release. I will however keep it on the radar.

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:50 pm
by zarfius
Binky_2 wrote:I think that is awesome that you are making a world editor for Ogre3d. I have thought about doing that myself. I am anxious to see how it progresses. If I get some free time to program, I will definitely check out your project for contributing. Good luck.
I'm glad you like it. There is a lot I would like to add to it, the main issue is finding time, but I do spent at least a few hours a week and there is always progress in small steps.

For various reasons the project is not currently open source. However, if you're really keen to contribute I'm sure we would work something out. Currently I'm adding terrain and paging support because I've had a number of requests for it. One of the other users motivated me to start and has contributed a few bug fixes already.

I've probably put over 1000 hours into it already and in the process I've learned a LOT. Not just in terms of programming, but also how to run and manage the project better. One of the main reason's I pulled it from open source is because it was very challenging to keep it going in the right direction. I've grown tremendous respect for anyone that manages to make an open source project successful (like Ogre). Nothing is set in stone though and I've always got it in the back of my mind.

Re: Glue Editor Lite (version 1.0 release)

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:17 am
by zarfius
I know this is an old topic but for anyone still following it I thought it might be a good idea to let them know that I've made the source code available on bitbucket.

Rather than resurrecting this old irrelevant post anymore, I've made a fresh post about this on the Mogre forums here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/addonforums/viewt ... =8&t=14934

The source code and everything else can be accessed via the project website:
http://www.glueeditor.com/