Page 1 of 1

Network Library or ACE

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:36 am
by manituan
Hello.
I´m designing a mmorpg and I have some doubts about choosing the network library.
I want that the game will run in several SO. The server will be in Linux. So I was nearly close to choose SDL_NET as a network library, but a friend told me that ACE (The ADAPTIVE Communication Environment) was better than it.
I´m been looking and I don´t know why any game has used this framework instead the usual network librarys.
Why is this? Thanks.

Re: Network Library or ACE

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 am
by ffoieoi
ACE is too Huge, we are learning the core. then write a little one.

Re: Network Library or ACE

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:24 pm
by Herb
I use RakNet for my network package, but there's been debate on how well it would scale for MMO (heard arguments both ways). I do know the TrinityCore project (world of warcraft server emulator) does use ACE.

Re: Network Library or ACE

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:44 am
by Pangamini
Herb wrote:I use RakNet for my network package, but there's been debate on how well it would scale for MMO (heard arguments both ways). I do know the TrinityCore project (world of warcraft server emulator) does use ACE.
Raknet is robust, but effective and doesn't add much overhead. I don't see why shouldn't it be suitable for a MMO. Anyway, you got to do the optimizations to send data only when necessary