Page 1 of 1
Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 pm
by jonim8or
Hi all, this is a followup on
this thread. In that thread it was concluded that many of the meshes and textures that are distributed with the ogre samples are quite old, and not up to date for modern game engines. Therefore the idea arose to create new meshes and textures, and to update the samples with these new media. Maybe we could add a character that can act as counterpart to Sinbad the Ogre. Also, we want to create a new sample, which showcases the Ogre engine as a whole, instead of just demoing separate features. So, we are actually looking for artists willing to make artwork for Ogre. This is your chance to get your artwork in the SDK!
What are we looking for?
Quality meshes, that are up to modern standards (not too low poly, but if possible with a lower poly version for iOS?)
Textures for the meshes, including normal and specular maps if appropriate
Supply any files with a clear license description that at allows redistribution alongside Ogre. (for example one of the
CC-licenses)
Where do I start?
1) Let us know what you 'd like to contribute
2) start modeling,texturing,etc.

We are going to setup a repository to store the files, and for that we're interested in how many people are joining.
Is there a theme?
Yes, there is! Although any artwork is welcome, we were thinking it would be nice if we could have a sample with a theme. So for example a medieval town, or a pirate harbor, or both (a medieval pirate harbor). For a start, here's a concept art of mine:
Here is my start of the project
Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:05 pm
by videl
Hi
That's a very good idea, some of the meshes and textures really made the engine look "unprofessional". I always was wondering why there were no better meshes to show the awesome ogre engine
I don't have too much free time, but if somebody created a list of needed objects I would like to contribute two or three assets. I think I am able to model good quality lowpoly meshes and to create quality textures using a next gen workflow with highpoly sculpting and baking. I think it's a good opportunity to contribute something to the ogre project

Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:28 am
by LiMuBei
Cool idea! I'll see if I can whip something up

Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:26 pm
by Alexiss
Hey, this is a great idea.
If anyone has anything to share, please get back to me, we're trying to set-up a repository for all Ogre-related binaries (
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68442) :
http://ogrebin.org
Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:35 pm
by Aralox
Can I request something semi-significant? Can we use a scale of 1 Blender Unit = 1 Ogre unit = 1 Metre?
I just posted here (
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=69013) about this.
Really though, why are the current example model sizes so inconveniently huge? Am I missing something?
In any case, Id still love to contribute something!
When I find some free time away from uni, I will definitely whip something up
Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:52 pm
by Kojack
Can I request something semi-significant? Can we use a scale of 1 Blender Unit = 1 Ogre unit = 1 Metre?
Hell yeah.

That was one of the key proposals from my sample resource improvement thread, make every mesh supplied with ogre be 1m scale.
I would have released my rescaled models for the public, but I found flaws in the way animated meshes are scaled and rotated by meshmagick but I haven't had time to debug it yet.
Also positioned and orientated in the world in a consistent way (so things sit on the ground correctly and aren't facing sideways like the robot mesh).
Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:23 am
by shadowfeign
I think the big reason is that there is no art director to help keep things consistent. Without someone managing content, and making sure everything is correct, it's not likely to change much. It also might not hurt to have some proxy objects to show rough height of an average character or something(such as a scene with a simple box) another good template might be to have a sample of a standard door? so we can get buildings sized similarly.
Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:43 pm
by videl
There is definitely the need for someone who takes the lead.
I am still willing to contribute some work, but as nobody tells me what to do, I can't create something useful...
Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:56 pm
by Kojack
Neoaxis has beat us to it. Their latest sdk has a new sample featuring a medieval village on a mountain next to an ocean.
[youtube]-u9B31MzSI8[/youtube]
Looks pretty cool, and is a good example of what we need.
Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:50 am
by Aralox
That is breathtaking
Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:04 pm
by Shockeye
Aralox wrote:That is breathtaking
pfft

Oh sure it might be beautiful - but they're taking the Ogre engine in the wrong direction. QUANTITY is where its at.
Our Robot beats them hands down in sheer size.

Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:23 pm
by Aralox
Shockeye wrote:pfft Oh sure it might be beautiful - but they're taking the Ogre engine in the wrong direction. QUANTITY is where its at.
Our Robot beats them hands down in sheer size.
ROFL ahahhahahhahahaha

Re: Call for contributions: new media for the Samples
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:54 pm
by duststorm
Shockeye wrote:Our Robot beats them hands down in sheer size.

That thing has made me laugh multiple times already.
The most memorable was a giant robot moonwalking through a city scene.
