Page 1 of 1
Iphone game steals Torchlight assets
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:36 pm
by Kojack
The game Armed Heros Online, released on itunes last week, has stolen assets from Torchlight.
Almost every enemy in the game is a Torchlight model, and sounds were taken too.
http://kotaku.com/5926035/outraged-torc ... -app-store
Here's a comparison done by the president of Runic:

Re: Iphone game steals Torchlight assets
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:02 pm
by bstone
Yeah, I think I've seen 99% clones of other games (unrelated to Ogre) on iPhone. Tough market and not everybody plays by the rules. I guess a complaint to the Apple App Store could help.
Re: Iphone game steals Torchlight assets
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:18 pm
by duststorm
I'm no fan of those appstores. In general they seem to attract the wrong kind of people.
There's a few pearls amidst all the rest. How are consumers supposed to know what is good and what's not, I thought apple devices were all about useability, compromising on features and options?
Personally I feel distributors and publishers still play an important role in society, even though the ultimate freedom of the internet can open up the way for publishing platforms that eliminate the middle man. We can't expect all consumers to be enough knowledgeable or have the time to filter through everything.
Of course, on the flipside such novel distribution platform can also offer small indies the chance to get their product out where it would be rejected by conventional publishers. And sometimes with succes. Unfortunately, the 99% other cases just litter the catalog, making it harder to find what you really want.
Re: Iphone game steals Torchlight assets
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:43 pm
by bstone
The Apple App Store still seems like "easy money" to some but that train has long been gone. It's just the same mess as any other portal for downloadable content nowadays. The sheer volume of submissions kills any pro indie factors it had when it started.
That doesn't excuse those who steal though, no doubt.
Re: Iphone game steals Torchlight assets
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:29 am
by Mind Calamity
Such a shame they decided to rip-off other games... If this was a game with original content it would have been awesome from what I can see in the launch trailer.