Page 1 of 1
Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:45 am
by rorschach
It gives me great pleasure to share the screens and video of the game I have been developing for the past few months.
Pathfinder is a technical demo the objective of which is to fire a missile at a bunker ten miles away.
The game in currently in early Beta stage and will include many more features.
It was developed with Ogre 1.7.2 and uses NxOgre,MyGUI,Hydrax,SkyX and OgreOggSound.
The project development will be updated on my blog
http://daggerproteus.blogspot.com/
Check out more screens and video on my blog.
Stay tuned for more.

Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:37 am
by rorschach
I have used L3DT for creating the Terrain in the game.
Although I am happy with L3DT, I am not satisfied with its Texture mapping.
Any advice on generating good texture maps for the Terrain.
(Any other recommended software for Terrain generation with good texture mapping would also be helpful.)
Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:04 am
by Jabberwocky
Did you write the pathing code, or are you using something like recast/detour?
Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:11 am
by rorschach
Pathfinding is reserved for version 2.0 of PathFinder.
I am working on an early implementation and is purely logic based for now.
Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:06 am
by areay
Looking forward to seeing more of this rorschach.
Can you tell us how the game plays? Is it an 'artillery game' where you have to specify angle of launch and power?
Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:29 am
by rorschach
Well it is a technical demo and not exactly a game per se.
The missile would be mounted on the Scud and the player is free to move the vehicle anywhere in the world.
When ready to fire the player can fire the missile and the the missile would be guided to hit the bunker irrespective of where the missile is fired from in the game world.
Of course there is a minimum distance from which the missile should be fired.
As I have mentioned in my blog the ideas that can be implemented are limitless.
I have ideas where in the Scud launcher would be hunted by AI vehicles to prevent the missile from being launched.
The missile right now is automated but I can add manual controls also.
I mostly think of it from a technical demo point of view but it can be made into a full fledged game.
Lets see how the project develops, I have to conceptualize,code,design and model the project so it would take a little time to complete the demo.
Anyway stay tuned for more updates.
Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:26 pm
by rorschach
Well I finished adding almost all features I wanted to implement my Pathfinder Technical Demo.
You can check out the Pre-Final video below.
Check out more screens and videos are on my blog
http://daggerproteus.blogspot.com/
Regards
Rorschach
Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:57 am
by tod
This is nice and all, but can I run it on my rocket?

Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47 am
by rorschach
tod wrote:This is nice and all, but can I run it on my rocket?

Sure just make sure your rocket doesn't carry a nuclear warhead

Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:24 pm
by tod
How far did you go with the physics simulation? Are you taking into account friction, buoyancy and stuff like that?
Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 pm
by rorschach
tod wrote:How far did you go with the physics simulation? Are you taking into account friction, buoyancy and stuff like that?
Well yes friction for the vehicle is very much taken into consideration and I wanted the demo to be as realistic as possible so I keep adding tweaks now and then.
Buoyancy is reserved for my second Technical Demo which is based on a different concept, As far as Pathfinder is considered the Scud is not allowed to enter the water. i.e. when you drive the Scud too close to the shore line I disable steering and push the vehicle backward or away from the shore. I don't have the heart to see a Scud sink

Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:06 pm
by tod
Air has buoyancy too you know?

Could you also do a cruise missile? Infrared? MIRV?
Re: Pathfinder Technical Demo
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:14 pm
by rorschach
tod wrote:Air has buoyancy too you know?

Could you also do a cruise missile? Infrared? MIRV?
The idea was to implement a Ballistic missile for Pathfinder, I might consider adding Air Buoyancy for version 2.0 of the Demo.
Cruise Missile and SAM are my next priorities but it will be in a different Demo.