Page 1 of 3

QtMeshEditor

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:59 pm
by fernandot

QtMeshEditor – 3D asset workflow tool (GUI + CLI + CI/CD)

Hi everyone,

I originally created QtMeshEditor as a small helper tool to make working with Ogre meshes a bit easier. Over time, the project has evolved quite a bit, so I wanted to update the original post with its current state.

QtMeshEditor is now a 3D asset workflow tool designed to complement Ogre3D pipelines and simplify common tasks that usually require multiple tools.

What it does

QtMeshEditor provides a unified workflow to:

  • Edit meshes and materials visually (GUI)

  • Automate operations through CLI

  • Convert assets across multiple formats (via Assimp)

  • Merge and preview animations

  • Integrate asset checks into CI/CD pipelines

Image

Image

The goal is to make asset handling more predictable, easier to automate, and faster to iterate on, especially when working with multiple formats and tools.

Core features

  • Mesh transform tools (translate, scale, rotate)

  • Real-time material editing and preview

  • Import from multiple 3D formats (Assimp)

  • Export to Ogre mesh (including older versions)

  • Animation preview and renaming

  • Primitive creation (via ogre-procedural)

Recent additions

More recently, the project expanded beyond a GUI editor:

  • CLI for scripting and automation

  • GitHub Actions integration

  • CI/CD workflows for asset validation

  • QtMesh Cloud (scan history and live badges)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

This allows a more pipeline-oriented workflow for 3D assets, similar to how code is handled in modern development setups.

Example usage

Code: Select all

qtmesh scan ./assets -fail-on error
qtmesh fix character.fbx -all -o character_fixed.fbx
qtmesh convert character_fixed.fbx -o character.glb2

Links

If anyone is using Ogre in production or has custom asset pipelines, I’d be very interested to hear how you handle validation and conversion today.

Feedback is very welcome šŸ™‚


Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 pm
by Crystal Hammer
Very cool application.
Will you open source it too ?
If not it's IMO useless (unless you want to fix all bugs yourself and release it with every Ogre version).
There is some black blinking overlay after I maximized it. I would really use some shortcuts like Ctrl-O - Open, Ctrl-E - Export, and so. Also some edit to just set scale eg. Alt-S then input 0.1 and after enter it scales uniformly by 0.1.
Btw. Is MeshMagick source somewhere to compile it with 1.8 ?

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:20 am
by fernandot

I'm not thinking of open source now, maybe when in the future i'll release the code :)
Nice idea, I'll try to add some shortcuts and correct this bug on the next versions...
The MeshMagick code is here: https://ogreaddons.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... eshmagick/

I add an OBJ importer, now u can use this application to convert OBJ to MESH :)


Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:28 am
by gdalex
This is a very nice job !
Do you handle meshes with multiple materials ?

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:02 am
by Brocan
Nice!

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:34 pm
by robel
nice job
i hope that i will see the code as soon , because i work too with qt+ogre and i want to see ideas

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:05 am
by fernandot
ty all for the answers, i'm glad to know that u like it, i'll try to spend more time updating this project...

As you are asking for the code, i've change the repository to allow public reading, i'll be happy if my codes helps someone... there are some workarounds, sorry about that :)
https://xp-dev.com/svn/QtMeshEditor

gdalex: it is handling multiple materials on last version, but only if the mesh already have multiple subentities

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 pm
by fernandot
I've added a 3DS loader and corrected some bugs, there is still a lot of work to do, but i'll continue adding new features to it...
I've wrote a article about 3DS file, it may help who wanna build a 3DS loader...
http://www.hogpog.com.br/index.php/en/a ... ile-format

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:43 pm
by Transporter
Have a look at http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65993

Maybe you can also use ASSIMP to import more formats. :wink:

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:17 pm
by gdalex
Do you think you can do a MESH2FBX exporter ? :)

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:19 pm
by gdalex
Or at least mesh to OBJ, please ?

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:46 am
by fernandot
Transporter, i didn't know that lib, looks like it will save me a lot of time, ty :)

gdalex, i was busy with another projects, so i didn't implemented this yet, but i'll try to implement the OBJ exporter first, it is more simple :)

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:40 am
by Transporter
@fernandot
You are welcome! Have a look at https://bitbucket.org/transporter/ogreassimp. I patched ogreassimp from jacmoe to get a usable converter for different formats to ogre. I tested a few collada files, and most of them are working fine. I just have to add a few more features like LOD and shader materials.

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:29 am
by fernandot
Now i'm using bitbucket to share the codes...
Repository: https://bitbucket.org/fernandot/qtmesheditor

Now i'm building it using CMake, I think it will be easier to build it now :)

I'm still making some changes on QtMeshEditor before releasing the new version...

Transporter,
Thanks for the hint, i've implemented OgreAssimp into QtMeshEditor and it works fine, I even made some changes on OgreAssimp that jacmoe merged to it :)

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:32 pm
by fernandot
I've just released the new version, it can be downloaded from here: http://www.hogpog.com.br/index.php/en/a ... mesheditor

Thank you all for the hints, i'm not having much time to spend on this project, but i'll try to keep improving it :)

Image

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:43 am
by fernandot
I tryied to use Qt5 but i didn't found all runtime dependencies so it was crashing... sorry for those who had problem trying to run it :oops:

Now i've changed it back to Qt4 and it should work again :)

Now i'll try to implement some animation tools...

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:49 am
by Shando
Hi fernandot,

I have just installed QtMeshEditor, and unfortunately cannot run it as I get a System Error:

"The program can't start because libwinpthread-1.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I found a copy of libwinpthread-1.dll and copied it into the QtMeshEditor folder. Now I get another error:

Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point InterlockedCompareExchange@12 could not be located in the dynamic link library H:\QtMeshEditor\QtGui4.dll"

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it looks like a very useful tool :D

Regards

Shando

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:38 am
by fernandot
Hello Shando,

I've forgot to add some dlls, now it should be ok :)

I've fixed some other bugs and now i'm trying to add some new features, hope it helps you :)

Best regards

Fernando

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:30 am
by Shando
Hi fernandot,

All good now :)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll give it a test and let you know if I come across any bugs.

Regards

Shando

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 pm
by fernandot
Hello guys,

I've started implementing the animation tools, first I've implemented only an animation preview, now i'll try to implement some controls over the animations.

The transformations (scale, rotate and translation) made onto the objects are not changing the animation keys, so when an animated object is transformed it will look strange when the animation is applied. I'm currently working to fix this.

Download

Preview of the current version:
Image

Now i've got some extra time to work on this project, so i'll try to improve it as much as i can... :)

Best Regards.

Fernando

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:03 pm
by fernandot
I've implemented a tool to rename the animations.

Download

Image

PS: still didn't fixed the transformations to animation keys...

Best Regards.

Fernando

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:00 pm
by fernandot
I've updated it to Ogre 1.9.0 and fixed most of the bugs on bone animations when doing transformations, just didn't fixed the bone orientation when the mesh is scaled, if it scales out of the initial ratio it will get strange results...

Now i made a tutorial of how to build QtMeshEditor and how to configure the entire developing ambience to build it :)

Tutorial

And i've included an option to show the bones, that i got from here: Skeleton Debuger, thanks NickLH :)

Download

Image

Best Regards.

Fernando

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:39 am
by fernandot
I've made some little improvements, the most important is importing skeleton animation from non mesh files and now it imports .fbx files, there was some bug fixes too... like when u import a non mesh file it was importing only the first one, and there was some crashes when importing these files, it may have more bugs, but i'm trying my best during the little time i have to dedicate to this project.

The HogPog site is down 'cause of some issues with the host, while i'm trying to solve it, u may download from this link:

Download

Here we have an example of a .x animated file imported and runing the animation.

Image

Best Regards.

Fernando

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:36 pm
by xelon
Im having a problem using it. It runs good, but all i see is black scene flickering real quick. Resizing doesn't solve the problem.

Re: QtMeshEditor

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:06 pm
by akira215
Hi fernandot

Very nice job ! thanks for sharing.

You can add axis coordinate system to help the user, I share a little code for that, very easy to use :

http://ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=76016

Regards