Ogre Octree

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Post Reply
ludoz
Gnoblar
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: italy

Ogre Octree

Post by ludoz »

Hello. I can't understand how Plugin_OctreeSceneManager.dll works. That plugin can only manage terrain built up during runtime ?
If i have a big mesh (created with 3dsmax), made up by trees, houses, rocks... (my static world in practice) how can i made that mesh to be rendered optmized with an octree ?
There's not an app that build up an octree from a .mesh file ? so we can pass to the renderer the large mesh and the file to optimize it.
I tried dotsceneoctree, but it not compile with the ogre HEAD version, and it's also an addon, not a standard ogre tool!
Is it possible that ogre core miss something basilar like this ? or am i missing something ?
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

You are, indeed.
Look for DSI and DSIViewer - DSI is DotScene Interface.
AFAIK cTh has updated the dotscene stuff - so it will probably compile against Ogre HEAD.
If you want to be on the safe side - wait for Ogre 1.0 :)

And - Ogre is about flexibility. It does not impose a certain way of doing things - you can either use exsisting scenemanagers, etc. from the ogreaddons, or write your own.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
ludoz
Gnoblar
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: italy

Post by ludoz »

I tried DSI, but it only load a .scene file. A big mesh is not optimized at all!
I know that ogre is for flexibility, but write a scene manager is not a simple task! (i tried to look at some source code)
Anyway, Plugin_OctreeSceneManager.dll manage only terrain ?
Mdobele
Halfling
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:01 am
Contact:

Post by Mdobele »

A .scene file is basically just a list of individual .mesh files.

I wouldnt recommend have ONE mesh file that represents your entire world. Manually split it up into reasonable sized pieces in MAX, export it out as a .scene and then you can take advantage of OGRE's default octree when using a ST_GENERIC scene manager.
PrimedGames
www.PrimedGames.com

Email Me At
Mdobele( AT )primedgames.com
// Replace AT with @ of course
RoundSparrow
Greenskin
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:36 am
Location: Arica, Chile

Post by RoundSparrow »

Looking for some feedback...

At what point is my world large enough that I should consider using .scene approach?

If I wanted to do a race game of the Indy 500 (2.5 mile oval race track) should I break it into 32 meshes or just go with 1?

thanks.
Post Reply