OGRE 3D used with VB.NET 2003

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Post Reply
Desotron
Gnoblar
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:52 am

OGRE 3D used with VB.NET 2003

Post by Desotron »

I'm wondering how I should go about using the engine's compiled dll as a .net dll assembly library so that it can be language interopable.

I'd like to be able to use the engine with either vb.net or c#.net 2003.

Is there a place where I could obtain direction as to what files are nescessary for program execution, as well as what dlls to add as references to my projects?


Also: Please consider releasing a Build version seperate from the source, since not everyone who may use your engine will know how to use VC++ 7.0 as well as someone else.
Desotron
Gnoblar
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:52 am

Post by Desotron »

I think I have found out how to do it:

Add Existing Project
--> Find OgreMain.vcproj in the ogremain/scripts folder

Add Reference ... Projects
--> Add Ogremain as project reference.


I'll post again when I have converted one of the example demos from c++ to vb.net and then begin integrating the ogre project with my extensive game engine which handles sound/input/netcode/console.
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

You might find it easier to use Axiom if you're using .Net.
Desotron
Gnoblar
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:52 am

Post by Desotron »

I still don't know how to add it as an import

Usually I would do:
Import OgreMain.Ogre
at the head of my code, but the ogremain project doesn't seem to show up in intellisence.


Is this project set up to be compiled under VS 7.0? Does it create a namespace for use or what?
Desotron
Gnoblar
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:52 am

Post by Desotron »

sinbad wrote:You might find it easier to use Axiom if you're using .Net.
Does axium support all the features of ogre?

I'm looking for a C++ implementation of the rendering engine with the backend game code operating using vb.net for programming simplicity sake.
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

Axiom does tend to lag behind OGRE a little ways, because it's mostly porting what we do so there is an inherent unavoidable lag. To be honest though, I'm completely amazed at how much has been ported, I never thought they'd manage it when the idea was proposed, so kudos to them.

I'm not sure of the current feature status, you'd have to ask leedgitar.

In the end it's up to you, I only mentioned it because since Axiom is already .Net it might have made your passage a bit smoother.
Post Reply