Page 1 of 2

Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:50 pm
by Zonder
Not sure if anyone else missed this

http://visualstudiomagazine.com/article ... unced.aspx

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 am
by betajaen
Let's hope they actually support C+11 fully in this version. The C++11 CTP Plugin for VS2012 they released is nice and all, but it's quite incomplete.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 am
by syedhs
Yes they said although initialy scheduled for VC2012, it (C++11) will only be released on VC2013. Some feel cheated - but I think that is not unusual when it comes to software development.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 am
by Zonder
Well one good thing is it looks like they are implementing the 1 year release cycle at last. So waiting on features won't be as long.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:59 am
by Klaim
betajaen wrote:Let's hope they actually support C+11 fully in this version. The C++11 CTP Plugin for VS2012 they released is nice and all, but it's quite incomplete.
Herb Sutter said on his blog that indeed he will "address this" in a talk at the Build conference. Looks like details (and maybe release) will be unveiled then. It's next week.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:31 am
by Zonder
Yeah I am presuming also we will get a beta after build. Unless they surprise us with an actual release (doubt it) but I hope they do I need EF6 release and it's in that :)

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:57 pm
by Klaim
I'm happy to benefit from the BizSpark program, I'll be able to try it early. However I will not really use it for production until it's stabilized AND CMake is up to date with it.
I hope they didn't change the build system files much, which would help CMake people.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:02 pm
by Klaim
Looks like we'll get c++ news only on Friday. I might have missed other news about VS 2013 though.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:35 am
by Kojack
Preview edition of VS2013 Ultimate is out now.
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/e ... -downloads

(Windows 8.1 preview is out at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ad-preview but the iso download isn't available until tomorrow)

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:51 am
by Transporter
Thre is a video about new Visual Studio.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/e ... 013preview

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:02 am
by Klaim
Transporter wrote:Thre is a video about new Visual Studio.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/e ... 013preview
I'm watching this right now.
Cool! They made the scroll-bar-map available by default instead of a Power Tool extension! I love the scroll map, really really useful in big files!

The save of settings into your account is nice but forcing a Microsoft account is meh.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:30 pm
by Zonder
Most people already have a live account thought it's just renamed

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:04 pm
by Klaim
Zonder wrote:Most people already have a live account thought it's just renamed
Yeah but I would prefer being able to use my gmail email, my live account is used only when I have to use it because Microsoft force me to ;__;

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:13 pm
by Klaim
Some welcomed C++ news! http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/ ... eview.aspx

Specific to C++:
Improved ISO C/C++ Standards Support

Compiler

Supports the following ISO C++11 language features:
- Default template arguments for function templates.
- Delegating constructors.
- Explicit conversion operators.
- Initializer lists and uniform initialization.
- Raw string literals.
- Variadic templates.

rvalue/lvalue Reference Casts. With rvalue references, C++11 can clearly distinguish between lvalues and rvalues. Previously. the Visual C++ compiler did not provide this in specific casting scenarios. A new compiler option, /Zc:rvalueCast, has been added to make the compiler conformant with the C++ Language Working Paper(see section 5.4, [expr.cast]/1).
The default behavior when this option is not specified is the same as in Visual Studio 2012.

C99 Libraries

- C99 functionality added to <math.h>.
- Complex math functions in new header, <complex.h>.
- Integer type support in new header, <inttypes.h>; includes format string support for "hh".
- Support for variable argument scanf forms in <stdio.h>. C99 variants of vscanf, strtoll, vwscanf/wcstoll, isblank/iswblank implemented.
- New conversion support for long long and long double in <stdlib.h>.

Standard Template Library

- Support for the C++11 explicit conversion operators, initializer lists, scoped enums, and variadic templates.
- All containers now support the C++11 fine-grained element requirements.
- Support for these C++14 features:
- "Transparent operator functors" less<>, greater<>, plus<>, multiplies<>, and so on.
- make_unique<T>(args...) and make_unique<T[]>(n)
- cbegin()/cend(), rbegin()/rend(), and crbegin()/crend() non-member functions.
- <atomic> received numerous performance enhancements.
- <type_traits> received major stabilization and code fixes.

Visual C++ Library Enhancements

C++ REST SDK is added. It has a modern C++ implementation of REST services. For more information, see C++ REST SDK.
C++ AMP Texture support is enhanced. It now includes support for mipmaps and new sampling modes.
PPL tasks support multiple scheduling technologies and asynchronous debugging. New APIs enable the creation of PPL tasks for both normal results and exception conditions.

C++ Application Performance

- Auto-Vectorizer now recognizes and optimizes more C++ patterns to make your code run faster.
- ARM platform and Atom micro-architecture code quality improvements.
- __vectorcall calling convention is added. Pass vector type arguments by using the __vectorcall calling convention to use vector registers.
- New Linker Options. The /Gw (compiler) and /Gy (assembler) switches enable linker optimizations to produce leaner binaries.
- C++ AMP shared memory support to reduce or eliminate data copying between CPU and GPU.

Profile Guided Optimization (PGO) enhancements:

Performance improvements from a reduction in the working set of apps that are optimized by using PGO.
New PGO for Windows Store app development.
Ouh yeah, unperfect upgrade but quite welcome!
Resizable C++ Project Properties Window.
FINALLY!!!!!

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:01 pm
by saejox
Initializer lists are great but,

Code: Select all

class S { int a = 2; };
No default member initializations yet?

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:24 pm
by Kojack
I just tried doing an ogre build.
VS2013 seems to have broken freeimage. std::max and std::min can't be found any more, I had to manually add #include <algorithm> to some of the files. That fixed it.
I haven't got the rest built yet, cmake added boost for 2012 to ogremain, I don't have a 2013 build of boost yet (I didn't even want boost included), so it failed.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:32 pm
by Klaim
Is there any conversion when you open a VS2012 project file?

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:27 pm
by Kojack
Yep, it does the usual project upgrade.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:08 pm
by Klaim
Herb's presentation is live: http://channel9.msdn.com/?wt.mc_id=buil ... 2434581792

First news: they want to support c++14 directly. Good news!

Holy shit they want to add 'await' in the post-RTM CTP! WTF?

Looks like they have a lot to do...

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:34 am
by Transporter
Kojack wrote:I just tried doing an ogre build.
VS2013 seems to have broken freeimage. std::max and std::min can't be found any more, I had to manually add #include <algorithm> to some of the files. That fixed it.
I haven't got the rest built yet, cmake added boost for 2012 to ogremain, I don't have a 2013 build of boost yet (I didn't even want boost included), so it failed.
Don't worry about that! In 2012 preview they had a lot of errors like that. They fixed them until the release.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:37 am
by lonewolff
I keep finding myself going back and using VS.net 2003. No dll's required on your builds (aside from and 3rd party SDK's you use, of course) ;)

Every time I create a app with anything new and you go to run it, you get the fun nastyness that goes with not having VC runtimes, DX dependencies etc.. Arrrggh!

For me, minimalist is the go :)

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:18 am
by Klaim
Did someone tried the preview?
I'm not sure it's worth switching to it before RTM.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:38 pm
by syedhs
Now it is very tempting to migrate to 2012 from 2005. I tried 2012 before, but I think it needs a lot more RAM - I will buy 2013 as soon as I upgraded to 64 bit windows with 16GB RAM. :)

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:02 am
by Zonder
syedhs wrote:Now it is very tempting to migrate to 2012 from 2005. I tried 2012 before, but I think it needs a lot more RAM - I will buy 2013 as soon as I upgraded to 64 bit windows with 16GB RAM. :)
I am finding I need about 8Gb ram to run my day to day stuff I usually sit at 6Gb used but if I need to open multiple ide's it gives me some extra room. Saying that my new system will have 16Gb with space for an extra 16Gb deliberately :)

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Announced

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:00 am
by Klaim
If someone can check if this problem is still present in VS2013 Preview that would be useful information: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStud ... -directory