Page 1 of 1
Adding new skybox
Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:26 pm
by spookyboo
Does anybody know how I can add a new skybox to the scene without clearing the scene first and without blending the two skyboxes. I´ve tried it with scene_blend one zero (texture*1 + scene_pixel*0 = texture, but this still blends the 2 skyboxes).
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:52 pm
by spookyboo
Nevermind, I've got it already
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:15 pm
by Kencho
Now that I read about skyboxes, I've noticed that a SkyRenderable/Movable would be a neater solution than the actual "only one" sky. I'll explain. That way, you could have as many skyboxes, skydomes, skyplanes you want, allowing you to combine, for instance, a skydome with two layers of clouds (skyplanes), and even an "horizon" (like low detailed 3D buildings you actually see moving as you move). What about this change?
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:12 pm
by Attis SH
Good idea, but isn't that already possible? You could have a scene node under which you keep all your sky/horizon stuff, and you move it together with the camera.
Another solution would be to attach the camera node under this sky/horizon scene node, and apply position changes to the top scene node, and rotation to the camera node...
So I think it's already possible with Ogre.
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:51 pm
by Kencho
It's already possible indeed, but not in the official Ogre, which I think would be a better place for that...

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:41 am
by spookyboo
A quote from Sinbad found somewhere in this forum
It's remarkably trivial to create your own sky geometry to do more advanced effects - I've done this myself. A prebuilt list of skyboxes / skydomes with a priority list might be supported in a future version of Ogre, but you can do it yourself, just use the facilities already provided in SimpleRenderable, add your sky geometry to the RENDER_QUEUE_SKIES_EARLY/LATE, and use the 'priority' parameter at the end to sub-sort them.
I guess this is not on the top of his list, but it would be nice.
B.t.w. to create 2 layers of clouds: Doesn't a skyplane with a material file with 2 textures (perhaps with different scroll values) do the trick? Haven't tried it yet.
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:39 pm
by sinbad
spookyboo wrote:
B.t.w. to create 2 layers of clouds: Doesn't a skyplane with a material file with 2 textures (perhaps with different scroll values) do the trick? Haven't tried it yet.
This is what Quake3 does (e.g. q3dm3.bsp) except that it uses a sky dome. It works remarkably well.