New to Orge

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Post Reply
doors
Gnoblar
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Jamaica
Contact:

New to Orge

Post by doors »

I am a second year student at the University of technology, Jamaica where I am doing a Degree in Computer Science. I have been searching the web for new things all the time and game engines peaked my interests. I have downloaded alot but I just downloaded Orge yesterday and I have said I will stick with this one no matter what. I don't know why, but i will try.

I am new to everyting in 3d. Whether it be animation, renering, meshes, materials, just everything and I need some help to start.

Here in Jamaica programmers don't think to create games, but I really want to be one that do. I do you need your help to start off on the right foot.

If I get the help you bet that i will be here regularly. I have downloaded and look at demos for Crystal space and Irrilitch but none looks as good as yours. Ialso heard that orge is not a fully 3d game engine yet but i will wait.
User avatar
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Contact:

Post by temas »

Start at the wiki and its large Getting Started group with a newbies guide and tutorials.
User avatar
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4011
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Burgos, Spain
x 2
Contact:

Post by Kencho »

Yep, Ogre is not a full game engine, but a rendering engine. If you need audio, physics or whatever else, you will need to use other libraries too.
Your questions are quite extensive to answer, but quite easy to learn. I suggest you to take a look to the Ogre wiki (http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki) and follow the tutorials, read the Ogre Lexicon, and read some articles too. Many of those places will help you grasp Ogre quickly.

Welcome to the community and good luck ;)
doors
Gnoblar
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Jamaica
Contact:

Post by doors »

Thanks guys. But i still need some great links to tutorials where I can get my hand on some beginners info on 3d programming or the wiki files are good enough.
User avatar
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4011
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Burgos, Spain
x 2
Contact:

Post by Kencho »

There are quite sections in the wiki that you might find useful. You will find specially definitions of the commonly used terms, which should clarify you many things. First take a look there, and then read some tutorials on internet for the topics that you think will need some refination ;)
Baldrake
Halfling
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:09 am

Post by Baldrake »

Doors, it's actually not that easy, but with persistence you'll get there. There's quite an initial learning curve with any 3d engine, and Ogre is no exception. So don't feel stupid if it's not all immediately clear.

I just wanted to add that there are a couple of prerequisites: If you aren't comfortable with C++ programming, get that in hand first. And you need to know a bit of linear algebra. After that, like the others said, start with the tutorials.
Post Reply