images vs memory

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Post Reply
jelle
Halfling
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:42 pm

images vs memory

Post by jelle »

hi,

when I make a pointer to an image, and later on use the data from this pointer as a heightmap to assign heights to vertices for terrain, am I right then that a copy of the entire image is stored in main memory?

or is this stored in video memory, or does it reside on the harddrive?

Is there a limit to this in OGRE, eg until now im working with 4048*4048 images but can i go a lot higher?

Is there a way to keep really large images on the harddrive and then just read from them at the position you need?

thx
User avatar
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:49 am
x 3

Post by johnhpus »

I'm not sure that I understand what your wanting but maybe you should check out the Paging Landscape Scene Manager. Search the forum or download it in "OgreAddons"
Post Reply