Page 1 of 1

Ogre + RakNet + Bullet

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:16 pm
by retron
This seems like a pretty big combo for indie game developers looking for power and control over their games. Has anyone tried creating a small demo or showcase with the libraries integrated?

Re: Ogre + RakNet + Bullet

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:21 pm
by c6burns
I experimented with multiplayer in my game during early stages, but it turned out not to be that fun. My game's kinda like a skydiving simulator and the velocities and controls were such that the 2 players were often instantly separated and never really saw each other. I used ogre + bullet + raknet

Re: Ogre + RakNet + Bullet

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:47 pm
by retron
How difficult it was to integrate the libraries? Did you get some capsules wandering around in the first day?

Re: Ogre + RakNet + Bullet

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:52 pm
by c6burns
It's not difficult to get started, but of course its easy to introduce a lot on complexity quite quickly depending on your game's design. Raknet ships with a literal fucktonne of examples and there are multiple different ways to architect your netcode. I went with a lower level implementation (avoiding their ReplicationManager class) of just using BitStream to a bunch of message types which I defined between client->server.