OGRE *1.0.1* on Dev-C++

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
joshcryer
Gnome

OGRE *1.0.1* on Dev-C++

Post by joshcryer »

Hi guys, I thought I would create a new thread relating to OGRE on Dev-C++, I hope this is okay. Since :wumpus: got Ogre compiling on Cygwin flawlessly, it is actually a breeze to get a Dev-C++ compatable SDK working.

Only problem seems to be that Mingw 3.4.x is buggy as far as MSVCRT goes (when you run executables created with it, you get an "Microsoft Visual C Runtime Has Aborted" or some such error). So you have to download Dev-C++ 4.9.9.1 / MinGW for now...

Go to the SDK repository to get it: http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?option= ... tcat&cat=1

Only thing I did different was added better docs. For some reason I had trouble making this devpak (kept making the same pathname mistake over and over like eternally, quite a nightmare), was down with the flu for the last four days or so, so sorry for taking so long (since I really had a working compile just a few hours after 1.0.1 came out).
Last edited by joshcryer on Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

I've edited the wiki to reflect the change.
Last edited by joshcryer on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dermont
Bugbear

Post by dermont »

Josh, I'll reply here to recent post on the MinGW thread. You can resolve the vtable / auto-import problem by supplying the Linker option:
-Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

Thanks dermont! I'm an idiot (knew it was something simple though). ;)
dermont
Bugbear

Post by dermont »

Josh, just compiled a minimal ogre / ogreode using code blocks and used Dev-C++ 4.9.2 to link in and compile the Ogre Ode Gran Turismo demo. Worked fine, no sign of earlier crashes. Same for a couple of the samples. The only changes made were code blocks ming version (obviously), the latest version of zlib and a cg version ripped from the agencies previous devpak (too lazy to compile it).
RTsa
Kobold

Post by RTsa »

Hi! I'm a complete newbie and I need some help with this...
Well, I tried to follow "The absolute newbies guide to OGRE"...I tried to do the steps in the section "5 GCC 3.3.1 Dev C++" and then I got an error when I tried to run the "Terrain.exe". I think I got it compiled okay though, since I didn't get any errors or warnings. The only messages I got were like this: [Info], there were 6 of them.
Anyway, the error was something like this: (I've tried to translate it from finnish...)
"Procedure starting point ??1HighLevelGpuProgramFactory@Ogre@@UAE@XZ cannot be found from the dynamic link library OgreMain.dll"
The two last lines in MS-DOS promt are:
Registering ResourceManager for type HighLevelGpuProgram
Loading library plugins\RenderSystem_Direct3D9
After pressing the ok button from the error I get another saying 'An exception has occured!
Then it has some details:
Error #: 9
Function: DynLib::load
Description: Could not load dynamic library plugins\RenderSystem_Direct3D9
File: OgreDynLib.cpp
Line: 82
Stack unwinding: DynLib::load(..) <- <<beginning of stack>>
after pressing okay on that one it closes the promt too...
Please help! What's wrong?
I only did what was told in the section "5 GCC 3.3.1 Dev C++" of the tutorial...
edit: Yes, I downloaded the version 4.9.9.1 of Dev-C++, though I had version 4.9.9.2 installed before that. I did unistall 4.9.9.2 before installing the older one.
Total newbie...please forgive me if I ask stupid questions :)
Please explain clearly so I at least would have a chance to understand :)
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

You must remove that plugin from Plugins.cfg .the agency devpak doesn't include what is needed to link against directx9 so you'll have to do with GL.
ungarsdusud
Gnoblar

Post by ungarsdusud »

Hi!
I tried to do "The absolute newbies guide to OGRE" too.. I got an error when I run the "Terrain.exe" :

"Procedure starting point _ZN4Ogre10ConfigFile18getSectionIteratorEv cannot be found from the dynamic link library OgreMain.dll".

Thanks for help.. :)
RTsa
Kobold

Post by RTsa »

Uh...:wumpus:, could you explain clearer please. As I said, I'm a total newbie, and I really don't know almost anything :)
I tried to put '#' infront of the line "Plugin=RenderSystem_Direct3D9" in Plugins.cfg but I just got another error. Almost the same though.
Thanks for your help! :)
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

Did you guys download the Windows demos, replace all the dll's in the demo directory with the ones in the /bin/OGRE directory? Note that you have to replace the dll's in /plugin's too.

Basically take plugin*.dll and rendersystem*.dll from /bin/OGRE and place it in /demos/plugins, and take the rest and put them in the /demo's folder.

You guys' errors are completely random, and the only thing I can think of is that you're not replacing the dll's right. You need windows demos to run any of the examples or any of the tutorials for that matter (many of the tutorials use mesh's from the windows demo's media directory).

This is probably the most common mistake, blame poor documentation. :)
RTsa
Kobold

Post by RTsa »

Yay! I got it working now! :)
I had to replace the dlls correctly and also edit the plugins.cfg but now it worked! Though of course only with OpenGL...
There were some visual glitches in it (terrain cracking open), what might be the cause of them? I didn't get them in the original demo, in which I used DirectX.
I'll edit the wiki to clarify what must be done to make it work when I have time...
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

The ATI arb vertex program implementation is crap, that's what results in the glitches.
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

D3D9 rendersystem should work with this DevPak, you may need to upgrade to the latest DirectX.
ungarsdusud
Gnoblar

Post by ungarsdusud »

I've done what you said and thank you for that.. I fell a little idiot. :)

A new problem has appeared :
Error #: 9
Function: ZipArchive::checkZzipError
Description: ../../Media/packs/OgreCore.zip - error whilst opening archive: Unable to read zip file..
File: OgreZip.cpp
Line 254
Stack unwinding: <<beginning of stack>>

I've checked the zip file.. and the specified file "OgreZip.cpp" is not there.
I've downloaded the "Ogredemos-1.0.0.zip" but..

First, I've read the tuto again and I realized that I dropped some parts of..
I've dl the release "OGRE 1.0.1 Source for Windows" and I don't know what to do with the 3rd party because I'm on DevC++ and not visualC++..
Second, "if you are running on Windows, download the OGRE dependencies archive from the.." I don't know what and where it is..
And the third piece of the puzzle lost me deeper..
:(
Last edited by ungarsdusud on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RTsa
Kobold

Post by RTsa »

I tried it with DX9 and it worked, so the problem was just with DX7.
I also edited wiki. There's now a clarification on the dll moving thingy and also that Plugins.cfg edit.
dermont
Bugbear

Post by dermont »

ungarsdusud: In your resources.cfg file you need to replace "../../Media/packs" with "media/packs" http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ources+cfg
ungarsdusud
Gnoblar

Post by ungarsdusud »

Thank you dermont.. :)
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

Yeah, regarding OGL, I have an ATI card, and it's funky, so I use the D3D9 rendersystem, so it definitely works like a charm.

BTW, I made most of an Ogre 1.0.1 DevPak tonight, but I don't want to upload it until I've made proper documentation (including all of the stuff in this thread). The last DevPak was... lacking, to say the least.

So I'll upload it to my site later on and maybe Sinbad will have it on the Ogre site by tomorrow or the day after. I'm probably moving to Code::Blocks soon, but I'll keep making these DevPaks as long as Cygwin compiles it. (Also, I'm considering making a DevPak plugin for Code::Blocks, but template conversion seems tedious, but I wouldn't do that until the latest version of Dev-C++ had a properly working MinGW compiler, anyway.)
Tsh't
Kobold

Post by Tsh't »

Just tried to install Ogre with Dev-C++.
It wouldn't work with MinGW 3.4 but also with gcc 3.4... So I downgraded to MinGW 3.3 and gcc 3.3.
I'm not to much used to gcc but I suppose gcc 3.4 isn't intended to work with MinGW 3.4... I post this in case some people would get the same problem :)
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

Yeah that problem is discussed on the wiki, along with a short blurb in one of the readme's (albeit somewhat vaguely stated). What you can do, is download Code::Blocks, compile Ogre with it, and use the Dev-C++ IDE with that version of Mingw 3.4, but once you have Code::Blocks you may well dump Dev-C++ altogether.
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

edit: ok we're good to go it looks like, I'm outtie, enjoy guys :)
Last edited by joshcryer on Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

I'll add it to our files
litobyte
Halfling

Post by litobyte »

Hello, I downloaded the Ogre Dev-c++ package, but I can't see anything new in the IDE.

Last week I tried the Irrlicht Engine Dev-c++ package, and after installed, I had a new "Multimedia" project voice (Irrlicht Engine) which opens a default template (empty project) of the engine.

Here a picture about this feature:

Do you think is possible to make the same for Ogre3D ?
Perhaps with also a "Ogre3D Project Wizard" which asks what scene manager, what additional libraries (eg: audiere) and then pop out a magnificient ready-to-go source tree complete of everything ? :=)

I will uninstall MS VC 6 if you do so :)
(maybe I can help somehow ?)

Cheers
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

Sure I can make a template, I was going to do that this go around but I got hit by the flu. Ogre 1.0.2 perhaps? I may make one before this, but a "default" Ogre template (ExampleApplication?) would probably not have as many features as you'd want.

But yeah, the idea has definitely been in my head.
selles
Halfling

S.O.S.

Post by selles »

Hello peoples!

I don´t know well where I'm wrong, but I believe that am missing the replaces of the dlls ..
where is the folder demo/plugins? should I create her?
the follow error appear:

---------------------------
Terrain.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point _ZN4Ogre10ConfigFile18getSectionIteratorEv could not be located in the dynamic link library OgreMain.dll.
OK

it was half confused the replaces of the dlls,
I don't understand English very well, please, help me..

Thanks,

F.§elle§