Fog over terrain
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:40 am
Hi,
I would like to implement a fog (basically fog of war) over the terrain in the strategy game. My initial idea was to create few semitransparent planes with texture over each tile in the game, which works really well, however the performance drop is very significant (on my machine from 170FPS to 110FPS).
Do you have any ideas how to create a fog (or clouds) which would not be that resource consuming?
I am aware of Ogre fog functionality, however this is more for 3D shooters where player is in the fog. In this game you look down to the terrain and the fog should be displayed per tile visibility.
Thank you for any ideas and advices.
I would like to implement a fog (basically fog of war) over the terrain in the strategy game. My initial idea was to create few semitransparent planes with texture over each tile in the game, which works really well, however the performance drop is very significant (on my machine from 170FPS to 110FPS).
Do you have any ideas how to create a fog (or clouds) which would not be that resource consuming?
I am aware of Ogre fog functionality, however this is more for 3D shooters where player is in the fog. In this game you look down to the terrain and the fog should be displayed per tile visibility.
Thank you for any ideas and advices.