How big is your game object? (me 20KB)
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:59 am
I am creating a totally-in-house Entity-Component-System game framework.
I found that a simple entity consumes about 3-20 kilobytes. (can be optimized if I am not lazy)
In the worst case, I assume that Ogre will use 20% and Bullet use 20%, random utility=20%.
Thus, my ECS will get around 400MB.
I will waste from memory hole / allocation overhead at most 50% -> the rest = 200 MB.
I can create around 200MB/20KB = 10,000 entity - more than enough.
I think it is a little too big, though.
How large is game object in your games?
I found that a simple entity consumes about 3-20 kilobytes. (can be optimized if I am not lazy)
- - an empty entity : 1.7 KB. .......................... for fast query and sparse set
- an Ogre graphic entity : 5 KB. ..................... encapsulate 1 item
- (guess) a Bullet entity : 5 KB. ..................... encapsulate 1 rigidBody
- (guess) an enemy-ship : would use 20 KB. ...... a quite-complex entity : POD + physic + graphic
In the worst case, I assume that Ogre will use 20% and Bullet use 20%, random utility=20%.
Thus, my ECS will get around 400MB.
I will waste from memory hole / allocation overhead at most 50% -> the rest = 200 MB.
I can create around 200MB/20KB = 10,000 entity - more than enough.
I think it is a little too big, though.
How large is game object in your games?
