Page 1 of 1

TextPad 4 syntax files

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:00 am
by BigRed8982
I tend to use TextPad 4 on a daily basis. You can right-click any file for a quick view and it supports syntax highlighting for almost every language imaginable.

I created some syntax definitions for .particle, .material, .overlay and .fontdef files. They add color and highlighting for easy readability. If you use TextPad you might want to check it out.

Find them here. Just extract the files into TextPad's system directory and you're ready to roll.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:17 am
by Kezzer
I used TextPad for a whole semester and thought it was a horrid IDE

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:24 am
by qsilver
Awesome! I'll be making use of those.

KeZZer, that seems a bit harsh to me. TextPad is an excellent text editor. I don't think anyone would try to claim that it's a replacement for a full IDE.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:38 pm
by Kezzer
I never stated that it was a replacement for a full IDE. I just stated that I (and I being the operative word) thought it was a horrid IDE.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:42 pm
by :wumpus:
It isn't even an IDE, it's meant to be better than notepad in editing random text files and it very well succeeds in that :)

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:52 pm
by SpannerMan
I must agree that Textpad is an extremely useful little app. I never use notepad or wordpad anymore, and Ive slowly converted everyone in the office to realise the same. Its very fast, and can handle huge files.

During my time at university I used textpad (with the text highlighter plugins) to program every single web site and Java application I made.

The 'compare files' and 'find in files' work great and work very fast too, and the 'block select' mode has been a massive time saver here at work.

Anyway, cheers BigRed8982, I'll definately be using those syntax definitions :)

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:17 pm
by jacmoe
Yes, Textpad is definately my main app - for text files: .txt, .material, .cfg, etc. And for quick viewing of c++ files too.
Great tool ! :)

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:04 pm
by lodi

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:22 pm
by Clay
This looks interesting, but after putting those in the system folder for TextPad, it doesn't seem to do anything differently. IE, no syntax highlighting and nothing new appears in Preferences/Document Classes. Am I doing something wrong?

This seems like a great little editor. It even does hex when you drag a binary file on it.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:27 pm
by Clay
lodi wrote:Support Open Source! http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/
I love how his website supports warez. No thanks.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:20 pm
by jacmoe
@clay:
Fire up Textpad. Close any document windows.
Click 'Configure-> New Document Class'
Enter "Ogre Material" for the class name. (Next->)
'*.material' for the class members. (Next->)
Check 'Enable Syntax Highlighting' - and choose the Ogre_material.syn hightligher file.
Done!
:wink:

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:06 pm
by lodi
"I love how his website supports warez. No thanks."

Umm... textpad will open up those nfo's just as well.

I'll admit I haven't tried textpad yet, but I've been very pleased with np++ sofar. I use it for anything that's too simple for a full blown ide (logs, config files, simple asp/php stuff, etc.) Worth checking out.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:10 pm
by Clay
jacmoe wrote:@clay:
Fire up Textpad. Close any document windows.
Click 'Configure-> New Document Class'
Enter "Ogre Material" for the class name. (Next->)
'*.material' for the class members. (Next->)
Check 'Enable Syntax Highlighting' - and choose the Ogre_material.syn hightligher file.
Done!
:wink:
Ahhh thanks. Man that's great stuff.

Also, you might want to add the "glyph" keyword to the fontdef file.
lodi wrote:Umm... textpad will open up those nfo's just as well.
I should not have been so harsh, but it is true though. Yes, textpad will open .nfo files, but their site doesn't have obviously pirated software being displayed.

The author downloaded Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, and something that uses SecuROM (which is a common game CD copy protection mechanism). I'm not saying that notepad++ is a bad product, but the author posting screenshots of him pirating games makes me want to use some other product. Most of us here are wanting to make games (or some part of them), and I'd be worried if that didn't bother you to some degree if you are a game programmer.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:45 pm
by jacmoe
Clay wrote:[I'm not saying that notepad++ is a bad product, but the author posting screenshots of him pirating games makes me want to use some other product.
We don't know what his intentions was/are - maybe demonstrating that notepad++ can open *any* type of file?
Well, a moronic thing to do, really! :P

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:59 pm
by lodi
Heh, honestly, I didn't even know about any of this until an hour ago. But let's not be too hasty with the ad hominem attacks -- the software is good!

"I'd be worried if that didn't bother you to some degree if you are a game programmer."

To go off on a bit of a tangent, I've never understood why developers bother with SecuROM and such. It's overkill for casual gamers (won't read in some drives, precludes backups) and it obviously does nothing to prevent actual piracy (iso's on irc two weeks before the game even ships). I've actually downloaded iso's of games I *own* because it's less of a hassle. Failing that, I always download those no-cd patches to protect the original cd's (and just generally reduce the hassle of cd-swapping.)

UT2K4 was a recent game that I remember for understanding this. They took out cd-checks in the very first patch so that I didn't have to do anything shady to make fair use of the game I paid $70.00cdn for. Bonus points for shipping the game on dvd too (even if it was $10.00 extra).

(And yes I buy my games. Hopefully when I'm a AAA developer everyone else will too! ;-)

Anyway, sorry for going offtopic. I'll give textpad a try next time the opportunity presents itself and compare for myself.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:22 pm
by DWORD
lodi wrote:To go off on a bit of a tangent, I've never understood why developers bother with SecuROM and such. It's overkill for casual gamers (won't read in some drives, precludes backups) and it obviously does nothing to prevent actual piracy (iso's on irc two weeks before the game even ships).
I agree. You can't prevent piracy, and the money and effort is probably better spent in other places IMHO.

<rant>

As another example it pisses me off that I have to call Microsoft support, enter a 60-digit (or something) number on the phone, talk to a man after waiting 5 minutes, and enter another 60-digit number on my PC to activate my legal copy of Windows XP when I have formatted my machine. :evil:

Yes, the configuration is a bit different from the original (i.e. more RAM, disks etc.) but it's still the same machine. And yes, I have reinstalled the system a number of times, but why would that be a problem? :?

</rant>

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:56 pm
by :wumpus:
Why don't you just mail the author of notepad++ if the presence of ascii art from age-old (seems even abandonware, judging from the pentium 3 requirement) warez files, to show off the completeness of his text editing widget, bothers you?

Personally, I think calling this "supporting warez" makes no sense. He obviously doesn't offer any warez for download (or links to warez, or links to sites offering warez, or links to links to programs .. you get the point). Ascii art logos are just very good to show that all text aligns etc.. As soon as showing those becomes illegal I'll move to another planet :)

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:55 am
by neocryptek
I dont think that is a fair assumption. Remember that there are many NFO sites out there where you can view/download NFOs from releases. Just because he has the NFO doesnt mean he downloaded or even used the actual release. They are easily obtainable and show off that part of his program.

And I agree totally on the subject of money better spent elsewhere then on the newest anti-piracy system that only increases false positives and degrades user experiences.

Oh, and on the subject of notepad replacements, I prefer Notepad2.
http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Small and simple, no tabs or other 'IDE wannabe' stuff. Fits me perfectly. My only gripe is adding different syntax hilighters involves a recompile, but its easy enough. [he provides source and full instructions]

-N30