Page 1 of 1

Naming candidates for Ogre 2.1 and 2.2

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:12 am
by dark_sylinc
So, Mythological Gods and Creatures won and we need name suggestions for Ogre 2.1 and Ogre 2.2, then we'll decide in polls which ones to pick.

Regarding Ogre 2.0, I won't make a poll. I will probably pick the name myself since it's not too important. I'll pick either Apollo or Arjuna.

Possible Resources (not restrictive):
https://greekgodsandgoddesses.net/gods/
https://www.ducksters.com/history/ancie ... hology.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _goddesses
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Germanic_deities
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hindu_deities
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... an_deities

Elements from active religions such as Christian, Islam and Hindu symbolism can apply, but we more care, as not to be disrespectful.

Champions, demigods can also be used.
We need to filter this list with the best candidates, so that the poll votes don't dillute too much.

Ogre 2.1
  • Boreas
  • Brontes
  • Baldr / Balder / Baldur -> I actually like this one, because Baldur Karlsonn created RenderDoc, and Ogre 2.1 was one of its first guinea pigs. Back then, RenderDoc crashed a lot on Ogre, but our samples being simple in terms of API calls and having both D3D11 & GL comparisons helped a lot.
  • Brahma
  • Brahman
  • Brunhilde
Ogre 2.2
  • Castor
  • Cerberus
  • Ceres
  • Chimera
  • Chandra
  • Chamunda
Note: Chronos and Cronus are outruled for being too easy to mistake with or relate to Khronos, the entity ruling over OpenGL, Vulkan and glTF3D, among other graphics standards.

Re: Naming candidates for Ogre 2.1 and 2.2

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:05 pm
by xrgo
2.1 I like the first 3 ones Borea, Brontes and Baldur
2.2 I would like to discard Castor, since in spanish means beaver, its a cool animal... but not tiger/shark cool. I like Cerberus, Ceres, Chandra
and btw I looked at the links and you made a pretty good pre selection

Saludos!

Re: Naming candidates for Ogre 2.1 and 2.2

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:27 pm
by TaaTT4
To name 2.1 version, my vote goes to Baldur and Brunhilde.
Instead, to name 2.2 version, I vote for Cerberus and Chimera (although it hasn't a not so good meaning).

Just a note: Ceres (don't know if I can link its site, google it!) is a danish beer brand. It's very popular in Italy, but I guess it's famous in other european countries too. Anyway, theirs social media managers are well know to be very funny and to think out of the box. Wondering if a visibility boost (and maybe a beer supply... :lol:) can be pulled out from this naming thing.

Re: Naming candidates for Ogre 2.1 and 2.2

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:28 am
by al2950
2.1 I would go for Baldur, I like the little nod to RenderDoc that I am not sure how I would now cope without.

2.2 I also like Cerberus or Chimera