Page 1 of 1

ogre-assimp animation issues

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:19 am
by suny
Ogre Version: 1.12.5
Operating System: windows

Hi,
I'm trying to import .FBX object into my engine, using the ogre-assimp library. It works great for geometry, but I can't make it work properly for skeletal animations. The resulting animation is corrupted, angles are not right, the mesh is rotating in every direction...

I tried to export the same object fbx from 3dsmax using Ogre easy exporter, and the animation is perfect in this case.
I also tried to import the fbx directly into the last ogre-meshViewer (which uses assimp) and the result is also wrong.
Anyone has an idea?

I have a test fbx from the web, which doesn't work with ogre-assimp/meshviewer:
http://bulostudio.com/uploads/animation/robot.FBX

And the same object exported with Ogre Easy Exporter, which works perfectly in my engine and also in ogre-meshviewer:
http://bulostudio.com/uploads/animation ... assis.mesh
http://bulostudio.com/uploads/animation ... s.skeleton

Suny

Re: ogre-assimp animation issues

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:11 pm
by paroj
assimp says

Code: Select all

Assimp: Warn,  T0: FBX-DOM: unsupported, newer format version, supported are only FBX 2011, FBX 2012 and FBX 2013, trying to read it nevertheless
Assimp: Warn,  T0: FBX: ignoring node animation, did not find any transformation key frames

Re: ogre-assimp animation issues

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:49 pm
by suny
I exported the same file with FBX2011: same results.
Works with other exporters.

Thanks for your quick answer as always!
S.

Re: ogre-assimp animation issues

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:37 pm
by paroj
we would need to narrow down whether this is a bug in assimp itself or rather in ogre-assimp.

Re: ogre-assimp animation issues

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:33 pm
by dark_sylinc
paroj wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:37 pm we would need to narrow down whether this is a bug in assimp itself or rather in ogre-assimp.
If it's worth it, I tried using ogre-assimp a couple days ago on our fbx models and it failed to import animations correctly as well.

I already had written an assimp importer that imports animation into a custom engine (whose animation system is based on Ogre's) and the bugs I saw in ogre-assimp strongly resembled issues I encountered (I remember vaguely now, but there were a few discrepancies on Assimp and Ogre defaults; mainly how to treat initial and end keyframes and sometimes we had to look for bone's child offset somewhere else instead of where it is supposed to be).

I am now porting this importer to Ogre, but it will take a few months until I port the skeleton part, I can release the skeleton part (I can't release the mesh parts' source code) you can compare against with (or just replace the old skeleton import code with my new one? your choice)

Re: ogre-assimp animation issues

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:10 pm
by paroj
dark_sylinc wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:33 pm I am now porting this importer to Ogre, but it will take a few months until I port the skeleton part, I can release the skeleton part (I can't release the mesh parts' source code) you can compare against with (or just replace the old skeleton import code with my new one? your choice)
yeah, sure.. just dump it somewhere on github