Non-OGRE related: Please upgrade the forum

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Post Reply
Sadr
Gnoblar
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:04 pm

Non-OGRE related: Please upgrade the forum

Post by Sadr »

Just figured I'd leave a quick prayer here: Could you please consider upgrading your forum to phpBB3? The stable version is finally out, and is simply so much more enjoyable to use compared to the ever so worn out phpBB2...

Just a thought.
User avatar
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 7157
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
x 538

Post by Kojack »

Has phpbb3's administration stuff been improved? I changed from phpbb2 to SMF at work, easy to do using the phpbb to smf convertor. The administration facilities in smf are light years ahead of phpbb2.

Although I know changing to smf here is much less likely than upgrading phpbb, but I can still dream... :)
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

I can't stand SMF. Both FCollada and another site I frequent use that, and it's horrid (and slow) from an end-user standpoint. If I had to deal with that for Ogre I'm sure I'd be around much less...
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Image

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
MartinBean
Gnome
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by MartinBean »

SMF or PHPB, the TopicStarter is right I think. A bit more features would be nice :)
I have not failed... I've just found many ways that wont work
User avatar
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 7157
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
x 538

Post by Kojack »

I've spent over a year running an smf forum, and 2-3 years running a phpbb2 one before that, and there's not a single negative thing I've encountered since changing. It's certainly not slower and the end user interface isn't that much different. The fact alone that the quote and code buttons insert tags at the cursor rather than phpbb's behavior of always inserting at the bottom of a post then scrolling to the top (argh, so damn annoying) makes me feel warm and fuzzy. But if other people have such a dislike for it, fair enough.

And that fcollada forum is badly done, I'd hate to regularly use one like that too, pages which don't fit the monitor width annoy me. Some of us are running above 800x600. :)

Anyway, back to the real topic at hand... upgrading phpbb is usually pretty important, due to security concerns and such. Depending on how much as changed of course, major version number jump upgrades aren't always as wise as minor version number upgrades.
User avatar
Klaim
Old One
Posts: 2565
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:04 am
Location: Paris, France
x 56
Contact:

Post by Klaim »

If i remember well, someone already asked about 6 month ago and Sinbad responded something like it's far from being a priority.
User avatar
SpaceDude
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:49 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK
x 3
Contact:

Post by SpaceDude »

phpBB3 wasn't available 6 months ago :shock: at least not a stable version of it.

I too have installed SMF on my website, and before that I always thought phpBB2 was the best but after installing SMF I've never regretted it. It just does everything phpBB2 does but better and more. Having said that I think phpBB3 is probably on par with SMF in terms of features and usability.
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

I have SMF on another site I run and prefer it to phpBB - much quicker to set up, captchas out of the box, good stats reporting etc. If I'd had the time I would have investigated switching to that.

Here's the deal - with my finite amount of time I can either spend time changing to phpBB3, or I can work on Ogre code. Which would you prefer? ;)

Besides, buggy versions of phpBB have wasted more time and lost more data on this site than all other bits of software put together. I refuse to spend the time switching to phpBB3 until it's been in the wild long enough that I feel confident it's not going to go tits-up to some security flaw and waste a couple of days of my time again. phpBB2 was riddled with problems for ages and now that it finally appears to be solid enough, I'm loathe to change to a new version just because it's fluffier. I don't have a huge amount of time to fritter away on stuff like this, sorry.
Last edited by sinbad on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartinBean
Gnome
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by MartinBean »

sinbad wrote:or I can work on Ogre code
I have not failed... I've just found many ways that wont work
User avatar
Rottweiler
Gnoblar
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:07 pm

Post by Rottweiler »

sinbad wrote: Here's the deal - with my finite amount of time I can either spend time changing to phpBB3, or I can work on Ogre code.
How about writing your own Open Bulletin-Board Engine and release it under the name OBBE? :lol:

ps: just kiddin... keep up the good work with our favourite graphic engine ;)
Last edited by Rottweiler on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
SpaceDude
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:49 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK
x 3
Contact:

Post by SpaceDude »

sinbad wrote:Here's the deal - with my finite amount of time I can either spend time changing to phpBB3, or I can work on Ogre code. Which would you prefer? ;)
I'm surprised you have time to handle this stuff at all. I would have thought you could do with some else to manage the forum and all that stuff for you but of course the trouble is finding somebody competent that you can trust.
Trosan
Greenskin
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:57 pm
x 1

Post by Trosan »

I'm loathe to change to a new version just because it's fluffier.
Just a short note: phpBB3 is not just newer than phpBB2, it's also way better in certain aspects. Some of the features I am mainly waiting for are "search in thread titles only" and "search in threads". But there are other cool ones, too (I think improving the search function might also save time, though most easy to answer questions are probably asked because the search function is not used).

Sinbad probably knows how we'd answer this question. There's no chance that anyone else (of the team, but there you'd lose time, too) would handle the (forum) administration tasks for you?
User avatar
nullsquared
Old One
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: NY, NY, USA
x 11

Post by nullsquared »

I don't think you get it. sinbad said the new version hasn't been out for long enough yet to be completely stable without a doubt.

[moderator: removed unnecessary incendiary phrasing]

Forums work great as they are right now. Period.
eLunir
Gremlin
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:04 pm

Post by eLunir »

Just a thought - forums are indeed fine the way as they are right now (well, perhpaps a new skin would do :)) BUT, we need a chat. or Skype channel. Or something. (that old IRC seems to be outdated :()
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

eLunir wrote:Just a thought - forums are indeed fine the way as they are right now (well, perhpaps a new skin would do :)) BUT, we need a chat. or Skype channel. Or something. (that old IRC seems to be outdated :()
IRC works fine for me. What else do you need it to do?
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Image

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
eLunir
Gremlin
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:04 pm

Post by eLunir »

IRC works fine for me.
Well, must be just me unlucky then! ;) Could you please post the channel again? Just the one, which is described under MainPage/Community says: "server down" for me.
User avatar
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:49 am
x 3

Post by johnhpus »

irc.freenode.net
#Ogre3D
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

Correct -- and at this time, I am on there, John is on there twice in fact (a channel so nice he joined it twice), and 40-50 others. ;)
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Image

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
MartinBean
Gnome
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by MartinBean »

hmm, didnt know there was an IRC channel!! I like it :)
I have not failed... I've just found many ways that wont work
Post Reply