List of my best games (and worst too).

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by jacmoe »

I am playing "Risen" just now - and it is a worthy successor to Gothic. :D

Morrowind was excellent!
Oblivion - just like it's name - was a total disappointment.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
wacom
Gnome
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by wacom »

jacmoe wrote:I am playing "Risen" just now - and it is a worthy successor to Gothic. :D
Obviously you're playing the first half right now. ;)
User avatar
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Posts: 1894
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:25 am
x 116

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by mkultra333 »

I know I'm incredibly late to the party, but the last month or so I finally got around to playing Left 4 Dead. I'd been put off because of prior bad experience with Steam games, but it was a present so I gave it a shot.

Damn it, could be the most fun game I've ever played. It's really interesting what a difference the dynamic of 4 player co-op makes. Played with bots, the game seems nothing. Repetitive, storyless, only 5 campaigns. Graphics look a little flat, though the zombie deaths and animations are very good. But add other human players and it transforms into something incredible. Half the fun is seeing how well the random group you've found yourself in works, the different styles and tricks. Even the occasional team of jerks is fun, after all, conflict between survivors a major plot device of any zombie apocalypse movie.

I went out and got L4D2, and was not disappointed, it's even better than the first. (Though the complaints about lack of extra content for the first game are well founded in my opinion, feels like Valve have abandoned the original.)

I've probably spent 2 to 4 hours a day on L4D 1 or 2 every day for the last month.

I wondered if maybe co-op was the cure for all evils, so I also gave Killing Floor a shot (it was on special for $6). But I was not thrilled. Maybe I'm not giving it enough of a chance, but I've hardly touched it after a first look, feels a bit amateurish and not as good as the promos and pics implied.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by jacmoe »

wacom wrote:
jacmoe wrote:I am playing "Risen" just now - and it is a worthy successor to Gothic. :D
Obviously you're playing the first half right now. ;)
What?
What's wrong with the second half?
I just begun chapter 4.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
wacom
Gnome
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by wacom »

Lizardmen, lizardmen, lizardmen ... and the final boss.
User avatar
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 7157
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
x 538

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by Kojack »

Then you would have hated Planescape Torment, one of the best RPG's to have ever graced the PC screen in my opinion.
Actually I really liked Planescape Torment (yay for Black Isle!)
But the forced death thing in it wasn't hidden (that I remember). Whereas Deus Ex made it seem like you had a chance, and the death seemed normal. It's only if you let the death cutscene thing finish instead of quick loading that you realise it was a fake death.


I'm still angry that Risen was banned in Australia. Stupid OFLC.
But now I'm playing The Witcher (steam sales) and it was let in here despite having all the stuff Risen was accused of (drug use and sex). Then again, Geralt is cooler than the player character in Risen, I guess he can get away with it. :)
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by jacmoe »

wacom wrote:Lizardmen, lizardmen, lizardmen ... and the final boss.
Right.
A nice change from orks, orks, orks ... and the final boss in Gothic I and II. :)
(Must admit that I turned on one-hit kills, as I don't have the patience to repeatedly bash my enemies)
I think the temples were nicely laid out and had a good balance of exploration, carnage and puzzle.
I like.

However, I'd would have liked more npc quests.
It feels odd that people suddenly runs out of things to say.
Of course, that would have been a monstrous task.

I also like that the graphics are gritty and slightly blocky. Gothic style.
I think they did it right, although they can still do better.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
wacom
Gnome
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by wacom »

jacmoe wrote:
wacom wrote:Lizardmen, lizardmen, lizardmen ... and the final boss.
Right.
A nice change from orks, orks, orks ... and the final boss in Gothic I and II. :)
Nice change? Sorry, I found it to be worse than that. The orks have personality, even some hints of culture - the lizardmen are just boring. The Sleeper's temple in Gothic 1 and Irdorath in Gothic 2 were far more diversified and satisfying than the whole last chapters of Risen. And in Gothic 1 and 2 the whole gameplay wasn't changed with the endboss.
Someone injured the brains of Piranha Bytes' storywriters, that's what I think. They've proven this already with Gothic 3, and in Risen they got nothing more than a little band-aid on their foreheads. IMHO.

The balancing was strange, too. I played a mage and with "Magic Missile" on level 10, fighting was a piece of cake. My girlfriend played a fighter and had at least a ten minute fight with every small group of lizardmen.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by jacmoe »

Let's hope that whatever they do next, they do it better. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
wacom
Gnome
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by wacom »

That's what I pray every night before going to bed. ;)
User avatar
JaJDoo
Gnome
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 pm
x 5

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by JaJDoo »

Tom65 wrote:IM A SPAMMER!!
why hello there tom!

- MDK
(does anybody feel like he is in MDK's dive from the upper atmosphere whenever he jumps off Sheldon express in Just Cause 2? )
- Sacrifice
(predecessor to all drag, drop & script editors)
- Planespace: Torment
(played it only a year ago... cant believe i missed this one when it came out)
- Baldur's Gate 2
( "must i be interrupted at every turn? enough of this!" )
- Homeworld
(all the series... just great storytelling.. and pretty to look at. it seems i was the only one to really like cataclysm's story)
- MechWarrior 3
(really putting my hopes on the upcoming one.. hated MW4 and on.. funny how MW is now recognized as modern warfare)
- MechCommander
- RUNE
(i know, it wasn't really good, but somehow it just landed exactly in my mindless pass time game spot)
- BIOSHOCK
- Klingon Academy
( the damage model was AWESOME. never before, and unmatched 'till RF:G in my head)
IMPERIUM GALACTICA 2~!!!!!~@!~#~$!
- Ground Control
- Earth 2140

worst
Dark Colony ( what do you mean i cant collect resources? but i need to build a base!)
War Games ( SHALL... WE.... PLAY.... A....... GAME? )
Conflict Zone ( world.RepeatTerain(); OtherFaction.copyMissionSet(firstFaction); )
Platoon (soldier AI: "when shot at, DO NOT look in the correct direction, DO NOT duck to cover, DO NOT shoot back, DO NOT tell your CO about it)
some post from somewhere:
"So you basically want to make a car without a steering wheel because you don't know how to drive. I'd say learn how to use pointers"
User avatar
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 7157
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
x 538

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by Kojack »

Just Cause 2 does have an MDK feel to it. Both have infinite parachutes. :)
Let's hope that whatever they do next, they do it better.
It's going to be interesting how Gothic 4 turns out, since Piranha Bytes lost the rights to the Gothic series and Spellbound is making the new one. The only Spellbound game I've played is Airline Tycoon, which is a cool game, although it has the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a game, and the graphics look like badly rendered 3d muppets.

Why can't Arkane Studios go back to rpgs! I want Arx Fatalis 2! Dark Messiah was fun, but no match for Arx Fatalis (the spiritual sequel to Ultima Underworld 2).
User avatar
wacom
Gnome
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by wacom »

I have to say that I enjoyed Dark Messiah far more than Arx Fatalis (probably because I am a huge fan of Ultima Underworld 2 and was pretty disappointed by every gameplay element of Arx Fatalis).

And I don't think "Gothic 4" (it really is called ArcaniA) will be good. The dungeon videos looked like boring hack'n'slay, and dividing the game in chapters without the possibility to go back to the previous areas is just ... so not Gothic.
User avatar
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 7157
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
x 538

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by Kojack »

It's still got Gothic 4 in the name.

Image

http://www.arcania-game.com
User avatar
wacom
Gnome
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by wacom »

Kojack wrote:It's still got Gothic 4 in the name.
You mean "again". ;-) They named it "ArcaniA - A Gothic Tale", but decided to rename it to "Arcania - Gothic 4" just a short while ago.

Okay, in the beginning it was "Gothic 4: Arcania".
User avatar
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 7157
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
x 538

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by Kojack »

Before that it was Gothic 4: Genesis, in 2007 when it was first announced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcania#Development

:)
User avatar
metaldev
Orc Shaman
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:56 pm
Location: Boston
x 15
Contact:

Re: List of my best games (and worst too).

Post by metaldev »

man maybe im old, but did anyone mention:

megaman 2
megaman 3
shinobi 3

some of the best platformers ever created imho.
also Contra: Shattered Soldier (i know its ridiculously hard, but it is also one of the best imho)

Also if you pick it up right now, games like super mario world, super mario bro 3, jackal are still highly playable.

i think after Star Craft, Company of Heroes is my favorite all time RTS, followed by Dawn of War.

+1 :
duke3D, quake3, hl, counter strike, all the fallouts...

I think N, and Cave Story deserve mention in this list, they are truly some of the best i have ever played.

WORST:
Big Rigs
Bible Buffet
Superman 64
Superman (atari2600)
Deadly Towers (NES)
Gods and Generals
Club Drive (jaguar)
Kasumi Ninja (jaguar)
White men Can't Jump (i actually used to work with a bunch of guys who worked on this game, and who's faces are in it :lol: )
Assassins Creed (i admit its technically superior to the others on my worst list, but its still one of the worst i ever played)
Has anyone here played Night Trap?
Im a big fan of horrible games though, its awesome to get with some friends, maybe some alcohol and have at it.
Post Reply