Creating a cylindrical map

Minor issues with the Ogre API that can be trivial to fix
Post Reply
jadam
Kobold
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 7:05 pm

Creating a cylindrical map

Post by jadam »

Hi,

I'd like to make a map - like in some of the grand strategy games - where the entire globe is represented, although not as a globe, rather as a cylinder. So if the user keeps scrolling to one direction, eventually will get around the cylinder and get back to the initial point.

I have however no idea how such a thing could be realized using Ogre3D.

I really appreciate any ideas, solutions,
Thanks.
User avatar
Waruck
Goblin
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm
Location: Germany
x 34

Re: Creating a cylindrical map

Post by Waruck »

My first guess would be to split your map into several stripes, 5 or more and have the stripes at the sides switch to the other side when the camera scrolls, such that there are always nearly an equal number of stripes in both directions. with this you could also fix the camera in space and only move the stripes (so you don't get into trouble with floating-point precision when you scroll for some hours in the same direction)
jadam
Kobold
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: Creating a cylindrical map

Post by jadam »

Thanks for your reply! I might go with what you suggested, unless someone has some better idea.
Post Reply