Can't run as normal user

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Post Reply
tmeister
Gnoblar
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:05 pm

Can't run as normal user

Post by tmeister »

Hi,

I'm getting a segfault when I run any ogre samples or own compiled stuff as a normal user under linux, getting the following dump:

Creating resource group General
Registering ResourceManager for type Material
Registering ResourceManager for type Mesh
Registering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
Loading library libOgrePlatform.so
OverlayElementFactory for type Panel registered.
OverlayElementFactory for type BorderPanel registered.
OverlayElementFactory for type TextArea registered.
Registering ResourceManager for type Font
ArchiveFactory for archive type FileSystem registered.
ArchiveFactory for archive type Zip registered.
DevIL version: Developer's Image Library (DevIL) 1.6.5
DevIL image formats: bmp dib cut dcx dds gif ico cur lif mdl pcx pic pix png pbm pgm pnm ppm psd pdd psp pxr sgi bw rgb rgba tga vda icb vst wal xpm raw
Registering ResourceManager for type HighLevelGpuProgram
Loading library /usr/local/lib/OGRE/RenderSystem_GL.so
OpenGL Rendering Subsystem created.
Segmentation fault

If I run as root it gets further, prompting for res settings etc. (only has the option of 800x600 though), but whether I choose fullscreen or not, I'm faced with a blank screen and a complete system crash, forcing me to do a hard reboot. Ogre.log gives me:

01:32:00: Creating resource group General
01:32:00: Registering ResourceManager for type Material
01:32:00: Registering ResourceManager for type Mesh
01:32:00: Registering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
01:32:00: Loading library libOgrePlatform.so
01:32:00: OverlayElementFactory for type Panel registered.
01:32:00: OverlayElementFactory for type BorderPanel registered.
01:32:00: OverlayElementFactory for type TextArea registered.
01:32:00: Registering ResourceManager for type Font
01:32:00: ArchiveFactory for archive type FileSystem registered.
01:32:00: ArchiveFactory for archive type Zip registered.
01:32:00: DevIL version: Developer's Image Library (DevIL) 1.6.6
01:32:00: DevIL image formats: bmp dib cut dcx dds gif ico cur lif mdl pcx pic pix pbm pgm pnm ppm psd pdd psp pxr sgi bw rgb rgba tga vda icb vst wal xpm raw
01:32:00: Registering ResourceManager for type HighLevelGpuProgram
01:32:00: Loading library /usr/local/lib/OGRE/RenderSystem_GL.so
01:32:00: OpenGL Rendering Subsystem created.
01:32:00: Loading library /usr/local/lib/OGRE/Plugin_ParticleFX.so
01:32:00: Particle Emitter Type 'Point' registered
01:32:00: Particle Emitter Type 'Box' registered
01:32:00: Particle Emitter Type 'Ellipsoid' registered
01:32:00: Particle Emitter Type 'Cylinder' registered
01:32:00: Particle Emitter Type 'Ring' registered
01:32:00: Particle Emitter Type 'HollowEllipsoid' registered
01:32:00: Particle Affector Type 'LinearForce' registered
01:32:00: Particle Affector Type 'ColourFader' registered
01:32:00: Particle Affector Type 'ColourFader2' registered
01:32:00: Particle Affector Type 'ColourImage' registered
01:32:00: Particle Affector Type 'ColourInterpolator' registered
01:32:00: Particle Affector Type 'Scaler' registered
01:32:00: Particle Affector Type 'Rotator' registered
01:32:00: Loading library /usr/local/lib/OGRE/Plugin_BSPSceneManager.so
01:32:00: Registering ResourceManager for type BspLevel
01:32:00: Loading library /usr/local/lib/OGRE/Plugin_OctreeSceneManager.so
01:32:00: TerrainSceneManager: Registered a new PageSource for type Heightmap
01:32:00: Loading library /usr/local/lib/OGRE/Plugin_CgProgramManager.so
01:32:00: *-*-* OGRE Initialising
01:32:00: *-*-* Version 1.0.0 (Azathoth)
01:32:00: Creating resource group general
01:32:00: Added resource location '/home/tim/Scurvy/mypak.pk3' of type 'Zip' to resource group 'general'
01:32:16: ******************************
*** Starting SDL Subsystem ***
******************************
01:32:16: GLRenderSystem::createRenderWindow "OGRE Render Window", 800x600 fullscreen miscParams: FSAA=0 title=OGRE Render Window
01:32:17: Could not make screen: OpenGL not available

I'm running Mandrake 10.1, GeForce FX5500 with NVIDIA GL driver (other openGL apps seem to work fine), and think I have all the required libaries (no problems compiling anyway), SDL 1.2.8, running Azathoth. I read elsewhere in the forum that running as root may cause problems, so I'm hoping that if I fix it to run as a normal user, it will work!

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.
User avatar
LordMyth
Gremlin
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:19 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by LordMyth »

Running as root causes problems if you the X server has not been started as root or something like that. Try logging in as root and then running ogre. (so not in a terminal with 'su' command)
Have a kiss from me!
Gentoo Linux on AMD64 3200+
NForce4 Chipset
Dual Channel DDR 2x512MB
PCX 16 GeForce 6600 256MB
User avatar
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 3067
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: The Netherlands
x 1

Post by :wumpus: »

OGRE requires no special priviledges, so running in non-root mode should work fine (I do this all the time)
User avatar
AnimalMachine
Gnoblar
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:36 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI USA

Post by AnimalMachine »

Maybe your particular distribution requires users to be members of a certain group to access the hardware?

I'm not sure about Mandrake, I've never used it ...
tmeister
Gnoblar
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:05 pm

Post by tmeister »

Hmm tried those ideas already, including running without any X session running. Don't seem to work.
User avatar
PeterNewman
Greenskin
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:34 am
Location: Victoria, Australia
Contact:

Post by PeterNewman »

I'd be looking into the user permissions to access hardware. I've had to support a friend who was using Mandrake, and they seem to use some peculiar security settings (well, greatly simplified, anyway). So quite possibly you dont even have read access to the hardware device!

Some-one more experienced with Linux might be better able to tell you.. I'm thinking, check /dev/nvidiactl for permissions, and check what groups your user account is in. For example, if my user isnt in the 'video' group, I can't run things accelerated, since nvidiactrl has root:video rw-rw-r--

But I'm not on my Linux box at the moment
Post Reply