Page 6 of 9
Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:19 pm
by wavez
hey hey! I took a break but I'm back and I'm working on my ogre again. I'm working on the UV map for the high res model, then I'm going to apply a stone texture to it, probably the one used on the ogre head in the fresnel demo, and I'll also generate a normal map and try to apply it to him. I didn't know what a normal map was before, but I know now, and thanks to Sinbad I found Melody, free software from nVidia. Then I'll put my ogre head into the fresnel demo. After that's done, then I'd like to finish the low res model and get him animated. And there's plenty more I can do after that...
Here's the head, It has a test map on it right now so I can work to remove distortions.
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/artwork/HiResOgre.html
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:11 am
by nfz
Been playing with Blender 2.35 and I must say the modeling side of things has really improved in the latest edition. To test how easy the latest blender editing tools are I decided to try my hand at "Roll Your Own Ogre". I only did the head and never got as far as texturing it which is next, but here is the initial result rendered in Blender. Still thinking about what the body should look like.

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:51 am
by temas
Very nice work, how long of a modelling time?
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:59 am
by dennis
@waves: too human.
@nfz: nice (re)work. I liked the Ogre head as it is distributed with Ogre right now anyway and yours comes pretty close. All it needs now is a body and ... a scimitar! (Arabian curved sword.)
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:00 am
by :wumpus:
I like nfz's head even a bit better than the OGRE with the main distribution. He llooks meaner

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:08 am
by Sputnick
nfz, your head looks really nice.
Time for some texturing ?
- Sput
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:51 pm
by sinbad
@waves: Nice, I like the teeth and the facial wrinkles, but I agree with dennis that it's a little too human. Perhaps a soft deform to make the forehead more jutting and the jaw more oversized would sort that out?
@nfz: Definitely pretty close to the original Ogre, nice. Is it just me or does his frown look more confused than mean though? (I could imagine him chewing a pencil)

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:37 pm
by SpannerMan
@nfz: Looking good
Has the user interface changed at all in the new version of Blender? I have heard a few people mention that they werent too keen on the GUI, and when I tried Blender a few months ago, Im inclined to agree that its a nightmare to use (for beginners, at least). It seems the majority of the buttons were small gray circles I think, and there was no way of telling what any of them did, hehe.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:57 pm
by haffax
No. Not really changed. But imho the GUI is very good as it is. It often is difficult to make a GUI easy for beginners and efficiently usable for pros. In the long run optimizing for pros is superior. With a good tutorial you'll see it is really easy to use, when you know how. And you can customize it quite easily.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:10 pm
by SpannerMan
Fair enough, Tanis, thanks for that.
Perhaps I should have tried following a tutorial or two before making a judgement, I was comparing its 'feel' with my (very limited) experiance of 3D Max and Lightwave.
I think I will install it again and give it another go...a professional modelling tool that is free is not something that should be so easily dismissed.
Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:27 pm
by walaber
I must admit, the latest version, with the improved mesh editing tools, finally feels a little more "familiar" to people used to other modelers..

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:27 am
by nfz
made some slight alterations and started doing some texturing.
Spannerman: I went from using Milkshape3D to using Blender and it was a bit of a steep learning curve. The new Blender videos and tutorials are a definate must for the beginner (like me).
Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:42 pm
by sinbad
I like the mouth shape a lot better now, nice one

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:23 pm
by Phantom
Now he looks like this sadistic creature with hideously evil plans....
Which is good!

Nice work.
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:58 am
by vbrun
Hello there!
Iam a noob when it comes to ogre

but Iam trying to learn this cool engine!
anyways here is a model I've made in 3dsmax it just happen to be an ogre head

its just to test out normalmaping in 3dsmax.
Its something like 3000 polys.. but its not optimized in anyway!
cheers!
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:25 am
by nfz
Excellent. We are getting a good veriety of Ogre heads.
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:33 am
by nfz
I have finished most of the UV mapping of the Ogre head and now I have started to work on the textures: diffuse map, bump map, and specular map.
I wanted to see how the head would look in ogre so I imported it into the material editor and applied the GLSL leather bump procedural shader to the whole mesh and took a snapshot:
The mesh totals 4402 triangles and is manifold so can project nice shadows. The teeth, eyes, and earing are manifold submeshes too and can have their own materials.
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:47 am
by Rixeh
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:55 pm
by sinbad
@nfz: very nice - finally a manifold Ogre head

And the poly count is about right too, nice.
Did you write the treeview in that shot, or is that new in CEGui since I last used it?
I'd really like to put the material editor in ogreaddons sometime, if you're willing...
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:59 am
by wavez
hey everyone. I also really like nfz's ogre head. I can make changes to mine and see what you all think, but I think nfz might come out on top now. I started working on the ogre again, but I had to put it on hold again, probably for the rest of this month, so it looks like time is not on my side

I'll be around though, so we'll see what happens.
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:44 pm
by nfz
@Sinbad: the tree layout manager is my own. Its based on a Delphi Component I wrote many years ago that has been converted to C++ and now manages the layout of CEGUI widgets.
The material editor will eventually be made available but right now there are more bugs than working features

. When the number of working features outnumbers the number of bugs by at least 5 to 1 then I will go for a limited alpha realease (to find more bugs

). I am shooting for end of January for alpha release but acheiving that date depends on how well the migration to Ogre 1.0 goes for the editor. The original plan had me releasing an alpha at the end of September 2004 and we know how well that went.
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:40 pm
by Sputnick
@nfz: material editor: Good to know. It's already looking very good on the screenshot.
Congrats,
- Sput
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:25 pm
by SpannerMan
Hey nfz
You know, I bet theres a lot of people waiting to hear some news about the new OGRE model and the material editor!
Any news? New screenies?
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:52 am
by nfz
Hi SpannerMan,
The light at the end of the tunnel for both projects is very dim (20 Watt light bulb) at this moment.
I am still buried deep in bugs with the material editor (poor design, bad coding practices, eating to much pumpkin pie etc). A few days ago I started merging with Ogre cvs Head to make life more interesting. Bug smashing has never been more fun. My plan for an end of January Alpha release is slowly turning into vapour.
The Ogre model is frozen for now (it's -16 celcius here) untill I learn how to texture 3D models. I am slowly getting there but you know what they say about an old dog and new tricks.
Not great news but its news.
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:27 am
by SpannerMan
Hehe, well good to hear your projects are still in the pipeline (be it a slightly frozen one). Good luck with them and keep us updated
