Roll Your Own Ogre

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Roll Your Own Ogre

Post by jacmoe »

I thought it would be cool to replace that (otherwise alright) robot mesh with *tada* an Ogre - ((maybe waving a Sinbad Sword)) - fully animated of course - don't you agree? :wink:

Trouble is - I haven't got the slightest handle on modeling - and especially not in 3D .. :?

How about a "roll your own Ogre" contest ?? :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
Antiarc
Greenskin
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:40 am
Contact:

Post by Antiarc »

Well, I'm a fairly decent modeler, though I'm utterly horrible with texturing, rigging, and animation. I could give a model a shot, though.
User avatar
Cyberdigitus
Halfling
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Cyberdigitus »

That would be cool... We already have the head :wink:
. . .
User avatar
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by monster »

Something like this;
http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/Fu ... ullPreview
would be super-cool. If it was animated, and didn't cost $419!
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

Actually - our Ogre is a unique mix between an orc (which I just saw - cool!) and what you are about to see here: (an Ogre) :wink:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nzone_ogredemo_home.html

Somewhat misleading - we are looking for orc'ses - but with ogre-ish looks. :)

((To complicate things further ... I realize that what I just saw - was a goblin !))
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by monster »

ogre

\O"gre\, n. [F., fr. Sp. ogro, fr. L. Orcus the god of the infernal regions; also, the lower world, hell.]
An imaginary monster, or hideous giant of fairy tales, who lived on human beings; hence, any frightful giant; a cruel monster.
I'm guessing Orc is also derived from Orcus. Hence; they're the same thing. Ogres are big, Goblins are smaller.
So something more like;
http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/Fu ... ullPreview
:D
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

I saw an orc at 3d-cafe - it needs some skinning and tweaking and some bones - but it's better than no ogre ...

I was thinking of a smaller version of that (hilarious) Ogrim from Morrowind -> It's the closest match (yet) !! - and it makes me giggle ...

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/sc ... een003.jpg

http://gamescooter.dk/wallpapers/morrowind/ogrim.jpg

Definately one of the coolest creatures !
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
Cyberdigitus
Halfling
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Cyberdigitus »

hmm, why wouldn't we design our own using the head, but where does it come from? is there a copyleft on that?

I'd like to help out on this, i have some experience modelling and such. (still learning to animate though, but i have motionbuilder)

it might be cool to change the demo a bit if we have such a character then. being able to select some moves, have him cary a sword, which would be done with attachtobone etc

oh, and maybe we could use the normal mapping, ie model a low poly (about 2000 poly) version, then detail the hell out of it up to a few 100.000 polys and map that on the low poly.

so that would combine animation and advanced shaders in a demo...

or even further, have this done by release 0.14, so we can get the shadowing in it too, creating some eery atmosphere, maybe a little scene. That would give a nice overview of what Ogre is capable of up to then...
. . .
User avatar
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by monster »

hmm, why wouldn't we design our own using the head
I think the idea is that we do design our own, or more to the point, one of us who's a talented artist does.
Why don't we use the head, well...

/me dons my flame proof suit

...I, personally, don't like it.

Ogre is a fabulous engine, up there with the best professional engines available. But the current media does look at little like "coder-art". I know it was free, but compare it to the goblin model that I first posted a link to. Which one do you think looks better? I'm not suggesting we use that model, but if there are any artists around that could create media of a comparable quality (easier said than done, obviously) then Ogre would look all the better for it.

To create kick ass demos for this kick ass engine, we need kick ass art!

And while we're at it, anybody fancy creating a new space ship to replace that Razor mesh?
http://www.3drt.com/3dm/gunships/gunships-shots.htm
User avatar
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 3067
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: The Netherlands
x 1

Post by :wumpus: »

Maybe one of the companies creating commercial games with Ogre could help greatly and provide some l33t graphics ? :-)

BTW: I like the Razor mesh; there is one problem with it, the ugly texture, which is mostly due to jpeg artifacts.
Lastnova

Post by Lastnova »

Hi, sorry for being a lurker atm.

I think creating a really amazing demo with great art is a bit of a double edged sword for a graphics engine project. People who are serious about developing make decisions by investigating an engines features and performance generally by reading and experimenting. The art doesn't matter. However if you create a demo with commercial game grade artwork and effects (quite possible with ogre) you will attract a huge number of people to ogre but not many will just be attracted by the demo and think they are gonna make an amazing game and generally just annoy everyone with silly questions before fading away.
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

Most of the media we have right now is coder art; I'd love to have a few professional models but I don't know any artists who are willing to give away their stuff. In my experience artists almost never work for free, unlike us silly coders. :) The Ogre head is one of the few exceptions, it was a free, uncredited mesh I found on TurboSquid.

I'd very much like to replace the Ogre head actually, because I can't use it for some purposes since it's not a closed manifold mesh. Any professional artists out there who want to break the mould and prove to me that they're not all money-grabbing cynics, you have your challenge ;)
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

So, I guess the competition's still on ! :wink:
Come on - roll your own Ogre ! :D
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
JSpataro
Gnoblar
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca

Post by JSpataro »

If there is a contest, can the prize be something from the Ogre goodies? I wouldn't mind winning a shirt or a mug.....
User avatar
Cyberdigitus
Halfling
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Cyberdigitus »

Well, i'd like to give it a go, when i find the time. I'll keep ya posted when i get to it.
. . .
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

JSpataro wrote:If there is a contest, can the prize be something from the Ogre goodies? I wouldn't mind winning a shirt or a mug.....
How about Eternal Fame ? :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
JSpataro
Gnoblar
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca

Post by JSpataro »

just what I always wanted! I'm in!
eldee

Post by eldee »

maybe you can beg this guy for his ogre model:
http://209.132.69.82/zbrush/zbrush2/Gal ... onnie1.htm

all i can say is... DAMN!

-eldee
User avatar
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:54 pm
Location: Berlin & Nuremberg, Germany
x 1
Contact:

Post by psyclonist »

Stunning!
digitalvoodoo
Gnoblar
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:22 pm

Post by digitalvoodoo »

Actually, I’ve been messing around with an ogre model while playing with the dot3 stuff. Couldn’t decide what to model at the time and eventually decided an ogre would be an appropriate test subject :)

Here’s my (inspired by Ogre, ogre) high-res mesh, painted in 2d.

http://members.westnet.com.au/robchristie/ogre.jpg

Still very much WIP at the moment.
KayNine
Halfling
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:53 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post by KayNine »

digitalvoodoo - nice mesh!
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

If that Ogre could be made a tad more cute - after all, he's going to be our mascot ! :)
A small brain, big heart Ogre, maybe ?
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
tonyzahn
Gnoblar
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:09 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Post by tonyzahn »

@digitalvoodoo - That's really impressive!! Do you have any more renders? Does he have a skeleton or is he static? Does he have a name? :)

@jacmoe - Not all mascots have to be cute y'know...
User avatar
leedgitar
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Post by leedgitar »

jacmoe wrote:If that Ogre could be made a tad more cute - after all, he's going to be our mascot ! :)
A small brain, big heart Ogre, maybe ?
Shrek :)
User avatar
Antiarc
Greenskin
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:40 am
Contact:

Post by Antiarc »

leedgitar wrote:
jacmoe wrote:If that Ogre could be made a tad more cute - after all, he's going to be our mascot ! :)
A small brain, big heart Ogre, maybe ?
Shrek :)
Well, this engine has layers. Like an onion. :D
Post Reply