Page 3 of 6

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:57 pm
by nikki
How about this one:-

Image

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:57 pm
by Kencho
Some additional data following Johnpus' lecture :)
- Amanita muscaria is toxic because of muscarine.
- The most poisonous in the family that I know of is the Amanita phalloides. You better don't read the intoxication symptoms :?

* I've been learning a bit about mushrooms lately. Just for the records :P

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:29 pm
by weshowe
Those "magic" mushrooms are common in pastures where cattle are raised, they grow out of old cow "patties".

Mushroom hunters have been a big problem for some ranchers, mainly because of fence damage to get field access (if people can get in, the cattle can get out).

I am long past wanting to take a "trip" myself, whether on a plane or not. And I do not want to put my mushroom ID skills to any tests. But we have plenty of various mushrooms around here, between the pasture and the woods.

<* Wes *>

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:59 pm
by johnhpus
I probably shouldn't comment where future employers might read, but sure, I've eaten psilocybe mushrooms before. For the record I'm 26 and it was five years ago. And holy cow, awesome.

Mushrooms of the sort you buy from hippies are usually cultured though and never come in contact with cow poo. The poo mushrooms are often cubensis, which is the most common, but there are hundreds of others.

I've become interested in hunting mushrooms lately as well but my interest is entirely in those mushrooms than are simply good food.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:45 pm
by lonewolff
I just came accross this avatar (of a newcomer). I looks pretty cool.

Image

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:47 pm
by xavier
syedhs wrote: xavier: I dont know about others, I think the boy kinda spooky to me. But it did make me to search internet for the avatar info immediately.
Image
Stewie > all

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:49 pm
by xavier
betajaen wrote:Image

:roll:
Epic mismatching of concepts:

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2008/

Look who is on the Star stage at 11:30 Friday...

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:54 pm
by lonewolff
xavier wrote:
betajaen wrote:Image

:roll:
Epic mismatching of concepts:

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2008/

Look who is on the Star stage at 11:30 Friday...
11.30 is Hammertime!

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:18 am
by betajaen
This is completely nerd-ish, and almost pointless to post. But for those who use NoScript in their Firefox browser, will notice that all the band JavaScript links for the band information have id's based off the band name, except for MC Hammer which is HAMMERTIME.

It amused me for a few moments.

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:26 pm
by SomeFusion
This one isn't bad :P Its the true spider man.
Image

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:42 pm
by nullsquared
-snip-

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:07 pm
by betajaen
You can only win by making that cookie real many times over, and hand it out to everyone.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:23 am
by Kencho
betajaen wrote:You can only win by making that cookie real many times over, and hand it out to everyone.
++

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:00 pm
by Klaim
++



+++++++++++

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:50 pm
by nullsquared
Really the only thing remotely close to a cookie that I can bake is some bread:
Image
It all started in 8th grade when every student had to bake a bread for the poor. First time I ever made my own dough and baked my own bread - I have a talent for this :twisted:

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:06 pm
by betajaen
Now, if you turn that bread into a sandwich; I will vote you in for the Noble peace prize for your dedication to the world, of handing out food stuffs to the needy.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:53 pm
by johnhpus
I'm coming to your place for dinner.

Edit:

Good joke with your avatar there. Of course only those of us who made it to page 3 reading this thread will have any idea why you've chosen to display such a love of bread.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:22 pm
by nullsquared
Too bad the PNG came out to 17 kb, and the GIF loses the colour :|

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:52 am
by Thieum
I love the idea of using food as avatar. weshowe, johnhpus and nullsquared, you have the coolest avatars :p

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:30 am
by betajaen
Personally, I think a slice of cake is better. :)

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:40 am
by nullsquared
betajaen wrote:Personally, I think a slice of cake is better. :)
Homebaked cake ...? mmm :twisted:

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm
by Thieum
betajaen wrote:Personally, I think a slice of cake is better. :)
Liar!

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:07 am
by weshowe
Thieum wrote:I love the idea of using food as avatar. weshowe, johnhpus and nullsquared, you have the coolest avatars :p
I appreciate the vote, although it is not clever, just cropped from a picture. While I raise beef for a living (well, I raise it for money, a living is another issue), it is likely no one will ever eat Lady. She is awesome looking, but will take a cattle cube from your hand.

Most of my cattle are, well, just cows.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:36 am
by johnhpus
Wildly off topic weshowe, but if you don't mind, do you use BGH and how do you feel about it?

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:32 am
by weshowe
No, I don't (BGH is Bovine Growth Hormone).

I don't think it is used as commonly as you have been lead to believe. Nobody I know uses it (generally it is used as an implant). Ditto for antibiotics. While I keep a supply of pennicillin, I rarely use it except if a cow or calf is injured.

<* Wes *>