Page 1 of 1

Bump maps

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:36 pm
by Jerky
Now this is not for normal maps, but the original bump maps. I have seen others refer to these, but I did not find out how to impliment these. Most anything in the wiki referring to bump map actually refers to normal mapping.

I have a mesh that I painted a bump map (greyscale) onto and now have it imported into Ogre, but I have not found how to display the texture as bump. I tried the advanced materials thing from the demo, but that is only for the normal map version of bumping.

Also, is it possible to have both? A normal map and a bump map? I'm not very clear on that subject as well.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:59 pm
by :wumpus:
You need to convert your mesh + the bumpmap to a normal map first before you can use it for rendering, various tools exist for this. Search the forums..
This is a preprocessing step as doing a dot3 operation is much more efficient than applying the bumpmap in real time.

Using both a bumpmap and a normal map is useless. as they're effectively the same thing. Maybe you're looking for displacement or parallax mapping? You can combine parallax mapping with normal maps.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:29 pm
by nfz
Jerky: there is an Nvidia plugin for PS that converts a bump(height) map to a tangent space normal map that can be used in Ogre. There is also a similar plugin abailable for Gimp. You could also use Blender to convert the bump map to a tangent space normal map.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:44 pm
by Jerky
Sweet, I thought so, but haven't had much time to search as I am at work now ;). Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it turns out.