Page 1 of 1
Ogre Exporter & 3ds max7 - valid object
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:10 pm
by boabhan
hi!
i created a object as scatter (compound object), attached a multi/sub-material and converted it to a editable mesh in 3ds max 7. now i wanted to export it with ogre exporter 1.19, but there is always the error message "You have to choose a filename and a valid object". a tried different names and folders and always selected the editable mesh object. nothings changed. could someone tell me what a valid object would be?
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:53 am
by xavier
No clue, but if you need to export the multiple components into a single .mesh file, neither the MaxScript exporter nor oFusion will be able to help you. The plugin-based exporter I am working on (which currently exports mesh and materials just fine) is available and has this capability...or, if you don't need all the meshes in the same file, just use oFusion.
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:19 am
by Lioric
The ogre engine .mesh file format dont support multiple separated objects in a single file, its by design
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:29 am
by xavier
Sure it does. I export them just fine. Unless you have a different definition of "separated" than I do -- I mean single models made up of multiple submeshes (each based on the same origin point).
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:27 pm
by Lioric
I said "mutiple seprated objects" not mutiple "sub-objects"
In this case, why you say that oFusion wont?
oFusion uses compilers for the exported structured data, it dont uses what max supplies in a 1:1 representation, it internally compiles the data to create optimized structures to be used by ogre, and of course it creates sub-meshes based on materials
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:26 pm
by xavier
Lioric wrote:I said "mutiple seprated objects" not mutiple "sub-objects"
In this case, why you say that oFusion wont?
Because the model I am using during development, which is made up of 21 submeshes, all with the same material, gives me 21 .mesh files when I export it from oFusion.
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:33 pm
by Lioric
That is not possible, seems you have a different definition of sub-meshes
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:36 pm
by xavier
Perhaps; I am not a Max modeller so if there is an extra preparatory step I am missing before export, I wouldn't know.