3ds Max Content for Facial Animation, possible workaround?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Locked
User avatar
brentrossen
Kobold
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 11:57 pm

3ds Max Content for Facial Animation, possible workaround?

Post by brentrossen »

To start, I must say, oFusion is amazing, really professional level work. I just wish there was some way to do facial animation using that exporter. I've read that pose/morph export for facial animation is not supported in either the 3ds Max exporter or the oFusion exporter. The Problem: I need to do facial animation in my research, all my content is in 3ds max, and I'd really like to use OGRE as the front end.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone had any success with a workaround?

Any suggestions for converting from Max to Blender, including materials, and morph targets? Or possibly export the mesh/materials from max using oFusion, then use the Blender .mesh importer on multiple face .mesh files, and export said faces as target poses?

Any suggestions or potential pitfalls would be greatly appreciated. Even a, "you can't do that", would save me a significant amount of time. Also, if someone wants to point me in the right direction, I'd be happy to try my hand at adding to the max exporter.
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

I think the answer is very likely to be 'you can't do that', at least without extending the exporter.

Now that I have a copy of 3DS, it's on my TODO list, but this isn't going to help you in the short term (my TODO is always bursting ;)).
FireSpy
Gnoblar
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:54 am

Post by FireSpy »

I am about to hit the same problem, and I know of other people who chose not to use Ogre becuse of this. The pose stuff/face demo is a realy good selling point, but the lack of a Max solution is a real problem.
Lioric
Google Summer of Code Mentor
Google Summer of Code Mentor
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:25 pm

Post by Lioric »

The next update of oFusion, after the newest update (hope in a few days) is Dagon based and includes Morph/Pose support
User avatar
brentrossen
Kobold
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 11:57 pm

Post by brentrossen »

That's some of the best news I've heard Lioric! I gotta say, you just made my day.

Hope I didn't misunderstand, you mean there may be morph/pose support in oFusion in a few days?
BlahBlahBlah

Post by BlahBlahBlah »

Wow. This is fantastic! I was looking into Facial Animation a few weeks ago - but was disapointed when learning there was no way to do this in Max.
FireSpy
Gnoblar
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:54 am

Post by FireSpy »

When can I get my hands on a pose version of oFusion? Is there any way to beta this?
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

oFusion Forum :wink:



****locked****
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Locked