Page 1 of 20

ZeroGear: A kart-racing game using Ogre

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:25 am
by marshmonkey
Zero Gear is physically-fueled, online multiplayer kart combat PC madness that me and 2 other developers have been developing for the past 2 years and change.

Image

HD Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuLHEuLMlbM&fmt=22

official game website: http://myzerogear.com

we have been keeping a development blog for almost the entire time that has a lot of the details behind the project. You can check it out here: http://nimblebit.com

Steam Official Game Group: http://steamcommunity.com/games/zerogear

screenshots: http://myzerogear.com/media.htm

Zero Gear is available for pre-order! Players who pre-order will get 25% off the price of the game, as well as immediate access to the beta version! Visit the Zero Gear product page for pricing information. Zero Gear is slated for release on January 12th, 2010. Stay tuned for more release information in the weeks ahead, including a 4 package deal!

Image

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:38 am
by oddrose
really nice style you've got on the pic there...haven't checked the blog yet though

I simply can't get enough of off-proportioned characters. It makes me all tingly=)

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:12 am
by pekar
The rest looks good too, I really like the cartoony feel of the vegetation. And customization is always great! Looking forward to the demo.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:34 am
by jjp
That video showing a flyby over a race track looks great :)

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:14 am
by ajs15822
Congratulations on your big debut, I'm so excited for you!

marshmonkey, you have an excellent eye for design-- I am in utter adoration of the entire 'look' of the assets in your videos; everything just looks so fun. Awesome work, I'm rooting for NimbleBit's success!

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:35 am
by marshmonkey
thanks aj!

Great

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:30 am
by Edman
Yes, the flyby looks impressive. Do I see a kind of occlusion lighting on
every cactus - and the driver model? I love this style, the last graphics I
liked that much were in Team Fortress 2 :D Very well done :D

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:42 pm
by Murphy
The rim lighting effect is used in Mario Galaxy and TF2. We plan to use it wherever appropriate. It really makes objects pop out.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:19 pm
by marshmonkey
the track flybys are actually hardware renders (no fancy rendering magic I promise!) from maya, we still have some work to do in getting a rim lighting shader running in ogre.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:35 am
by Game_Ender
Screenshots required on the showcase forum :).

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:10 am
by marshmonkey
I added a bit more media to the initial post but the cool stuff like videos you will have to go to the blog to see

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:15 pm
by Aladrin
Very nice! I love the style.

A question about the actual racing, though... The 1 video I saw on the blog, it didn't seem like traction was being used... The car just went straight wherever it was pointed. Are you going to implement drifting around the corners?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:55 pm
by marshmonkey
that was just a camera fly through to show off the track, we have not released any video yet of actual gameplay.

I did a few wheel variations just to have for testing wheel swapping. I also added some color to be user customizable. (in this case it's set to a yellow color)

Image

I think next I'm going to try mocking up some html for what some parts of the UI might look like.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:19 pm
by sinbad
Great art style, I like it.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:49 am
by marshmonkey
a new update on our blog, a sample gui that will be rendered using Navi.

http://nimblebit.blogspot.com/2007/12/i ... hings.html

Image

follow the link to see it in action

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:04 pm
by Virion
Cool. I like the style.

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:50 pm
by Maestro
It seems to be very funny.

It reminds me of these fun-racers produced in the 90ties.

I would like to see a Mac Version...


Maestro

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:13 am
by marshmonkey
I have created a new video showing the integration of the menu posted above in the game:

http://www.vimeo.com/448510

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:52 am
by Murphy
Post edited: Never mind...

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:20 pm
by skoruppa
its... its... AMAZING!! I want to test your game, but are they any chances for linux version of this great game? (me little bro will love you if you say yes :D)

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:11 am
by marshmonkey
new update! I created a new track to better test out Bullet vehicle physics model. We got the kart driving around on it this week so we decided to make a new video:
http://www.vimeo.com/634940

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:21 am
by marshmonkey
skoruppa wrote:its... its... AMAZING!! I want to test your game, but are they any chances for linux version of this great game? (me little bro will love you if you say yes :D)
Right now we aren't committed to anything but the platform we are developing on (windows) but we haven't ruled out anything yet.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:42 pm
by ajs15822
marshmonkey wrote:new update! I created a new track to better test out Bullet vehicle physics model. We got the kart driving around on it this week so we decided to make a new video:
http://www.vimeo.com/634940
That's a kick-ass-looking race track, the environment is expertly designed as well-- people should really start taking notice of this little project! ;)

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:16 am
by dudeabot
yes its very interesting indeed ;D i just think kart would go a little more faster to use the whole track, but it is very nice for a test ^^

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:55 pm
by deficite
Yeah, that is a beautiful track. I like the arch at the finish line. I also think the kart is going a little slow.