Page 1 of 1

OGRE Command Line Tools Installer - Proposed Feature

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:22 am
by AltecZZ
In the current installer of the OGRE Command Line tools, you can't specify where you want the tools to be installed.

On one machine, it installed to c:\OgreCommandLineTools

On another, it installed to g:\OgreCommandLineTools

I'm not sure how it picks which drive to install it on... This sounds like a small fix, anyway.

What does everyone else think?

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:58 pm
by haffax
Good idea. User should decide where to put the tools during installation.
The automatic mode is confusing and surprising. An installer shouldn't surprise the user imho.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:58 pm
by PolyVox
Agreed. I have to admit it's confused me a couple of time (installed to d:/ instead of the expected c:/).

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:57 pm
by AltecZZ
I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Was the Installer created with Visual Studio's Installer Wizard?

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:34 pm
by sinbad
It's created with WiX. I don't understand the issue here, it's very easy to install where you want:
Image


Just click the 'Browse' button right there.

:?:

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:48 pm
by AltecZZ
I have NO idea how I missed that......

:shock:

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:41 pm
by PolyVox
:oops: Yeah, that's a bit embarressing. Bit I think when I installed I just saw it was in the root folder and mentally filled in the 'C:/', whereas it had actually put it in 'D:/'. Well, no excuses really... it's a case of user stupidity :wink:

That said, it might be nice if it defaulted to c drive instad of some other letter - would be a bit more standard.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:31 pm
by sinbad
I think WiX defaults to the latest non-network drive you have.