Page 1 of 9

Roll Your Own Ogre

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:57 pm
by jacmoe
I thought it would be cool to replace that (otherwise alright) robot mesh with *tada* an Ogre - ((maybe waving a Sinbad Sword)) - fully animated of course - don't you agree? :wink:

Trouble is - I haven't got the slightest handle on modeling - and especially not in 3D .. :?

How about a "roll your own Ogre" contest ?? :)

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:06 pm
by Antiarc
Well, I'm a fairly decent modeler, though I'm utterly horrible with texturing, rigging, and animation. I could give a model a shot, though.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:04 pm
by Cyberdigitus
That would be cool... We already have the head :wink:

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:02 am
by monster
Something like this;
http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/Fu ... ullPreview
would be super-cool. If it was animated, and didn't cost $419!

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:13 am
by jacmoe
Actually - our Ogre is a unique mix between an orc (which I just saw - cool!) and what you are about to see here: (an Ogre) :wink:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nzone_ogredemo_home.html

Somewhat misleading - we are looking for orc'ses - but with ogre-ish looks. :)

((To complicate things further ... I realize that what I just saw - was a goblin !))

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:27 am
by monster
ogre

\O"gre\, n. [F., fr. Sp. ogro, fr. L. Orcus the god of the infernal regions; also, the lower world, hell.]
An imaginary monster, or hideous giant of fairy tales, who lived on human beings; hence, any frightful giant; a cruel monster.
I'm guessing Orc is also derived from Orcus. Hence; they're the same thing. Ogres are big, Goblins are smaller.
So something more like;
http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/Fu ... ullPreview
:D

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:49 am
by jacmoe
I saw an orc at 3d-cafe - it needs some skinning and tweaking and some bones - but it's better than no ogre ...

I was thinking of a smaller version of that (hilarious) Ogrim from Morrowind -> It's the closest match (yet) !! - and it makes me giggle ...

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/sc ... een003.jpg

http://gamescooter.dk/wallpapers/morrowind/ogrim.jpg

Definately one of the coolest creatures !

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:43 am
by Cyberdigitus
hmm, why wouldn't we design our own using the head, but where does it come from? is there a copyleft on that?

I'd like to help out on this, i have some experience modelling and such. (still learning to animate though, but i have motionbuilder)

it might be cool to change the demo a bit if we have such a character then. being able to select some moves, have him cary a sword, which would be done with attachtobone etc

oh, and maybe we could use the normal mapping, ie model a low poly (about 2000 poly) version, then detail the hell out of it up to a few 100.000 polys and map that on the low poly.

so that would combine animation and advanced shaders in a demo...

or even further, have this done by release 0.14, so we can get the shadowing in it too, creating some eery atmosphere, maybe a little scene. That would give a nice overview of what Ogre is capable of up to then...

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:10 am
by monster
hmm, why wouldn't we design our own using the head
I think the idea is that we do design our own, or more to the point, one of us who's a talented artist does.
Why don't we use the head, well...

/me dons my flame proof suit

...I, personally, don't like it.

Ogre is a fabulous engine, up there with the best professional engines available. But the current media does look at little like "coder-art". I know it was free, but compare it to the goblin model that I first posted a link to. Which one do you think looks better? I'm not suggesting we use that model, but if there are any artists around that could create media of a comparable quality (easier said than done, obviously) then Ogre would look all the better for it.

To create kick ass demos for this kick ass engine, we need kick ass art!

And while we're at it, anybody fancy creating a new space ship to replace that Razor mesh?
http://www.3drt.com/3dm/gunships/gunships-shots.htm

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:43 pm
by :wumpus:
Maybe one of the companies creating commercial games with Ogre could help greatly and provide some l33t graphics ? :-)

BTW: I like the Razor mesh; there is one problem with it, the ugly texture, which is mostly due to jpeg artifacts.

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:27 pm
by Lastnova
Hi, sorry for being a lurker atm.

I think creating a really amazing demo with great art is a bit of a double edged sword for a graphics engine project. People who are serious about developing make decisions by investigating an engines features and performance generally by reading and experimenting. The art doesn't matter. However if you create a demo with commercial game grade artwork and effects (quite possible with ogre) you will attract a huge number of people to ogre but not many will just be attracted by the demo and think they are gonna make an amazing game and generally just annoy everyone with silly questions before fading away.

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:07 pm
by sinbad
Most of the media we have right now is coder art; I'd love to have a few professional models but I don't know any artists who are willing to give away their stuff. In my experience artists almost never work for free, unlike us silly coders. :) The Ogre head is one of the few exceptions, it was a free, uncredited mesh I found on TurboSquid.

I'd very much like to replace the Ogre head actually, because I can't use it for some purposes since it's not a closed manifold mesh. Any professional artists out there who want to break the mould and prove to me that they're not all money-grabbing cynics, you have your challenge ;)

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:58 am
by jacmoe
So, I guess the competition's still on ! :wink:
Come on - roll your own Ogre ! :D

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:53 pm
by JSpataro
If there is a contest, can the prize be something from the Ogre goodies? I wouldn't mind winning a shirt or a mug.....

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:43 am
by Cyberdigitus
Well, i'd like to give it a go, when i find the time. I'll keep ya posted when i get to it.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:49 am
by jacmoe
JSpataro wrote:If there is a contest, can the prize be something from the Ogre goodies? I wouldn't mind winning a shirt or a mug.....
How about Eternal Fame ? :wink:

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:22 pm
by JSpataro
just what I always wanted! I'm in!

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:42 pm
by eldee
maybe you can beg this guy for his ogre model:
http://209.132.69.82/zbrush/zbrush2/Gal ... onnie1.htm

all i can say is... DAMN!

-eldee

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:52 pm
by psyclonist
Stunning!

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:46 pm
by digitalvoodoo
Actually, I’ve been messing around with an ogre model while playing with the dot3 stuff. Couldn’t decide what to model at the time and eventually decided an ogre would be an appropriate test subject :)

Here’s my (inspired by Ogre, ogre) high-res mesh, painted in 2d.

http://members.westnet.com.au/robchristie/ogre.jpg

Still very much WIP at the moment.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:23 am
by KayNine
digitalvoodoo - nice mesh!

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:36 am
by jacmoe
If that Ogre could be made a tad more cute - after all, he's going to be our mascot ! :)
A small brain, big heart Ogre, maybe ?

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:18 pm
by tonyzahn
@digitalvoodoo - That's really impressive!! Do you have any more renders? Does he have a skeleton or is he static? Does he have a name? :)

@jacmoe - Not all mascots have to be cute y'know...

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:45 pm
by leedgitar
jacmoe wrote:If that Ogre could be made a tad more cute - after all, he's going to be our mascot ! :)
A small brain, big heart Ogre, maybe ?
Shrek :)

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:42 pm
by Antiarc
leedgitar wrote:
jacmoe wrote:If that Ogre could be made a tad more cute - after all, he's going to be our mascot ! :)
A small brain, big heart Ogre, maybe ?
Shrek :)
Well, this engine has layers. Like an onion. :D