Node information in meshes

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Post Reply
adam23
Gnoblar
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 6:45 am
Location: Green Bay WI
Contact:

Node information in meshes

Post by adam23 »

I think it would be really nice if we could retrieve node positions in a mesh. For example an artist could place a few dummy objects that are exported with the mesh and I could do something like this.

Code: Select all


Ogre::Vector3 frontRight = mMesh->getNodeOffset( "front_right" );
Ogre::Vector3 frontLeft = mMesh->getNodeOffset( "front_left" );

This would return the offset of the node from the center of the mesh. Another useful function would be getNodePosition, which would return the world position of the node.
Adam Larson
Lead Programmer by profession and still programming for fun.
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

I believe that's what the "TagPoint" is for. Doubt that any exporters export them, however.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Image

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
User avatar
nullsquared
Old One
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: NY, NY, USA
x 11

Post by nullsquared »

xavier wrote:I believe that's what the "TagPoint" is for. Doubt that any exporters export them, however.
Tagpoints are created when you attach an object to a bone, AFAIK. Either way, they need a skeleton.

@ OP: This is what I mentioned about the bones. The best idea would be to make a skeleton for the mesh, with bones position/orientated wherever you want the "dummies".
Post Reply