Page 1 of 1

Faking soft shadow

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:06 am
by _Anonymous
I just found some where a document about "Smoothie". It is a soft shadow technique that make good soft shadow quickly.Take a look :
Image

1 sample is render using an ordinary shadow map;
bicubic is render using a version of PCF with a bicubic filter
2 last collums is render using smoothie

So, for 1024 x 1024 shadow map, 1 sample takes 17ms , bicubic takes 142 ms and smoothie is 24 ms.

I think Ogre had 1 sample and PCF already, and it'd be nice if it had smoothie also. And can someone plz make a sample app and post here.

Go here and see : (Cg vertex and fragment programs included)
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/papers/smoothie/

Sorry for my bad English !

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:32 pm
by nullsquared
This is definitely NOT something Ogre needs to be integrated, it's just another possible technique to integrate for your project (just like the VSM I posted). Not just that, but this is actually a very quirky technique to implement, since you need not only 2 shadow maps, but the second shadow maps needs to extrude degenerate quads from the mesh, which is pretty much what stencil shadows do.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:36 pm
by _Anonymous
Oh yes, I forgot that. But believe me, this would be the fastest technique to make soft shadow. Far better than using PCF + Gaussian blur. Try it out. I'm thinking how to use it.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:10 pm
by nullsquared
_Anonymous wrote:Oh yes, I forgot that. But believe me, this would be the fastest technique to make soft shadow. Far better than using PCF + Gaussian blur. Try it out. I'm thinking how to use it.
Ok, but what I'm saying is that it is not an all-in-one solution to the "fasted" general-case "real" soft shadowing. Why? Simply because it requires a second shadow map rendered with degenerate quads extruded from the geometry, which defeats the purpose of general-purpose image-space shadowing.

There's that, and it's definitely *not* the only fast shadow mapping method out there. LVSM, ESM, CSM, and a lot of other shadow mapping methods exist out there.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:16 am
by _Anonymous
Yeah, alot of tecniques. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages. So the best way is to implement all of these techniques into a demo, and it will give us fair comparitions. :wink:

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:32 am
by HexiDave
_Anonymous wrote:Yeah, alot of tecniques. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages. So the best way is to implement all of these techniques into a demo, and it will give us fair comparitions. :wink:
Good luck :D There's only - what's the figure now? - about 200 or so. Do a search for "AndyTX" on Google and prepare to have your head spin.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:17 am
by _Anonymous
You are funny. I mean just the techniques that are most popular.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:22 pm
by nikki
_Anonymous wrote:You are funny. I mean just the techniques that are most popular.
Everyone on this forum is crazy! :lol:

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:33 pm
by _Anonymous
And you're in too, ha ha :lol: