So for today, what graphics card should I get? No, I don't want the extravaganza Radeon HD 5890. I am more satisfied with smooth framerates and a mediocre graphics. I think if I can play 3D games today with decent framerates (60 fps) at medium setting, I am satisfied. So any suggestion? Just throw in some ideas first. Assume that I have enough power supply, compatible system, etc.
What should I get for my next Graphics Card?
-
ionosphere
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 5:32 am
What should I get for my next Graphics Card?
I am currently using ATI X1600. Yeah, it's pretty old, and can only play Team Fortress 2 at 10-20 fps (native fullscreen resolution with all settings low) at intense situation.
So for today, what graphics card should I get? No, I don't want the extravaganza Radeon HD 5890. I am more satisfied with smooth framerates and a mediocre graphics. I think if I can play 3D games today with decent framerates (60 fps) at medium setting, I am satisfied. So any suggestion? Just throw in some ideas first. Assume that I have enough power supply, compatible system, etc.
So for today, what graphics card should I get? No, I don't want the extravaganza Radeon HD 5890. I am more satisfied with smooth framerates and a mediocre graphics. I think if I can play 3D games today with decent framerates (60 fps) at medium setting, I am satisfied. So any suggestion? Just throw in some ideas first. Assume that I have enough power supply, compatible system, etc.
- haffax
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 4823
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- x 8
- Contact:
Re: What should I get for my next Graphics Card?
I recently bought a Radeon HD 5770 and am very happy with it. I don't run Linux on my machine, so lack of Linux drivers is no worry for me.
I chose this GPU, because of its price/performance ratio, comparative energy efficiency and low noise. A HD 5750 would probably have sufficed too. Game performance is great for my needs. I can play Risen (probably the most taxing game I own) smoothly with all details set to high.
Right now AMD seems to have an edge over NVidia, Fermi cards look very disappointing. Too expensive, too loud, way too energy hungry and hardly better performing than HD 58xx.
I chose this GPU, because of its price/performance ratio, comparative energy efficiency and low noise. A HD 5750 would probably have sufficed too. Game performance is great for my needs. I can play Risen (probably the most taxing game I own) smoothly with all details set to high.
Right now AMD seems to have an edge over NVidia, Fermi cards look very disappointing. Too expensive, too loud, way too energy hungry and hardly better performing than HD 58xx.
-
Caphalor
- Greenskin
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:54 pm
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- x 25
Re: What should I get for my next Graphics Card?
I also own an ati 5770 and I play Team Fortress 2 at highest settings. 
Games like Mass Effect 2 and Assassins Crees 2 run smoothly, too.
Games like Mass Effect 2 and Assassins Crees 2 run smoothly, too.
- xavier
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 9481
- Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
- Location: Dublin, CA, US
- x 22
Re: What should I get for my next Graphics Card?
The most card your budget allows.ionosphere wrote: So for today, what graphics card should I get?
- xavier
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 9481
- Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
- Location: Dublin, CA, US
- x 22
Re: What should I get for my next Graphics Card?
Which is because they are throughput-computing-oriented, not graphics-oriented.haffax wrote:Fermi cards look very disappointing.

