Ebook : an user experience sharing

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
Post Reply
User avatar
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 2653
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:07 am
Location: Haute Garonne, France
x 4
Contact:

Ebook : an user experience sharing

Post by tuan kuranes »

Following ogre cookbook topic

I tought of giving my XP on that particular topic, as an early adopter of an ereader/epaper/ebook owner since 2 yrs (sony prs 505) :

Good:
------
1- Very easy to read a big/heavy book
2- Have a load of books (2gb) anytime (technical books, all published technical papers from the web, google reader, all public domains book, poetry, etc) that I can read in the park
3- Anyone can Publish itself on its own website(s), DRM-free, people just have to hit paypal/flattr button. (or better kickstart writing of the book.)
4- No real Conversion nightmare as it is easily handled by Calibre GPL software.
5- Ebook easy to popup on desktop computer (lots of free readers), with find/search advantages
6- Re-edition is easy. (very easy typo correction, user redownload)
7- Device might seems pricey at first, but considering the number of books,papers,etc...
8- think of you next move... no book to pack, lift, sort, your back will thank you.
9- Next ebook generation will be able to handle annotation/movies/animation/etc... so enhanced edition is possible
10- ebook format, epub is html+css
11- more authors can now make a living on books. (all benefits goes to them, instead of 4-10%,therefore they need much less readers/buyers/clients in order to be successful)
12- save trees
13- easier to find a book in your house, find a citations, a page, keep trace of your reading, share your reading list, etc.
14- e-paper are perfectly readable in the sun, outside, in plain light, in the park, etc.
15- save me from eye-sores by not having to read anymore long texts on a lcd/crt screen

Caveats:
---------
1- physical book readers have to use print-on-demand services. (a thing that they can do on their own)
2- have to build a dyi lego ebook scanner to scan all the physical books I own... (or wait for fast camera book scanner)
3- need an A4 ereader, really needed for technical scientific "A4 two column small font" papers better readability/comfort
4- no comics reading until fast color epapers.
5- Bad e-readers manufacturers (monopolistic, drm, distant control on your readings)
6- "old school" publisher might sells their ebooks at high price.
7- device pollution (though device makers are making progress.)
8- beautiful books (photography, old books, etc..) still are better physical. (but that's a small part of what we read)
9- not readable in your bath (unless it's a cold bath...).
10- some spammer/scammer alike publish/sell "wiki" converted to ebooks on amazon and other platform.
11- ebooks are mostly in english.


Imho, ebooks are here to stay. physical books will soon be what "vynils" are to mp3, and old, nice thing but mostly decorative stuff.
User avatar
syd
Gnome
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:55 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Ebook : an user experience sharing

Post by syd »

hey, what's funny is that yesterday I went at Fnac (french book&tech shop), especially to look at a sony prs 505 (the one that cost 300€ right?).

Electronic books uses eInk technology, which makes it friendly for the eyes.
the main problem I have so far with electronic books is the look n' feel. It just doesn't feel like a physical book, I still feels like I was reading on a screen, and there's a lack of responsiveness in the display.
Electronic books are healthier for the eyes, that's its main strength.

On the other hand, right next to electronic books, was laying mini laptops, which cost 300€ also.
Same price & size, but real PC.

I came to buy an electronic book, and I almost bought a mini laptop. I finally decided I needed time to make a decision.
User avatar
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 2653
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:07 am
Location: Haute Garonne, France
x 4
Contact:

Re: Ebook : an user experience sharing

Post by tuan kuranes »

I wouldn't buy the same ebook now, as others manufacters have better hardware/price now (the Barnes & Nobler "wifi nook" seems the best choice).

But as for France and "Fnac", French publisher doesn't want ebooks at all and will do all they can to prevent that.
For one, they sells books at dishonnest prices, more than printed books... So french ebooks are not going to arrive soon, unless self published. You'll only get few ebook, but for public domains french books (which is not much...)
If you don't read english books, papers, I wouldn't buy a french "ereader" (check ebouquin.fr for news on that.).

For now, it's more english reader that can go digital. [I'll add that above]
User avatar
syd
Gnome
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:55 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Ebook : an user experience sharing

Post by syd »

well when it comes to technical stuff, I only read english books, and an ebook would fit perfectly.

But what I'm pointing out is that this technology isn't mature yet. it's expensive, and doesn't perform good enough to me. I expect an electronic book to be read just like a magazine or news paper : flat and flexible.
Yet I'd rather take a netbook, until something that looks like this is out.

edit : I removed the intrusive pictures
Last edited by syd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply